mtbr member
    Feb 2009

How often to service S-works, Brain, shock, fork?

I know the shock has to be sent to specialized every year or 150 hours for a service. But what about the brain and fork?

I have a 2008 S-works Stumpjumper and 08 S-Works Safire.

mtbr member
    The 2008 Specialized S120 brain fork service intervals are every 50 hours for a minor service, and then every 150 hours or annually for a major service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok, thanks. Anything for the brain?

mtbr member
    Those are the service intervals for the entire S120 fork, including its brain cartridge.

The rear shock's brain is integral to the rear shock. The whole assembly (shock, hose and brain) is sent off to be serviced as one item.

mtbr member
    I just sent in the shock and fork off my 2010 S-Works Stumpy. Less than 50 hours on the suspension and having issues with both components. Working with Spesh on this has been kind of a pain, so much so that I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the brain shock and fork and going with a different suspension set up. Something more user service friendly that I can rebuild and service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've always had great service from Specialized. But I let my LBS deal with them since they are a high volume specialized dealer. You may be better off selling the 2010 S-works while it'll still bring decent money and going with something else if you don't like the specialized setup.

How much does this service cost for shock and fork. I'm planning to do this in August every year while I'm on vacation for two weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crimecrusher
    You may be better off selling the 2010 S-works while it'll still bring decent money and going with something else if you don't like the specialized setup.

How much does this service cost for shock and fork. I'm planning to do this in August every year while I'm on vacation for two weeks.
    Spesh told me between $250-$275 for the service. I like the bike and it would be hard to find something similar @ under 24lbs and 5.5" of travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin6
    Spesh told me between $250-$275 for the service. I like the bike and it would be hard to find something similar @ under 24lbs and 5.5" of travel.
    Ouch! I see your point now. My wife and I both have S-works... with two bikes $500 a pop once a year is steep. And loose the bikes for 2-3 weeks. Specialized should have a demo program where they give you a loaner for that 2-3 weeks.