mtbr member
    Jul 2005

how much would it cost to upgrade the stumpjumper to disc brakes?

I'm new to all this, but I want to get a bike that will last me a while to start out with. i'm basically looking out the rockhopper comp disc or the stumpjumper. i want the disc brakes, but i think i can live without them for a while. the stumpjumper is lighter, nicer components all around and has lockout on the front fork.

so if i spent the extra couple hundred and bought the base model stumpjumper, how much would going to disc brakes later cost me? and not a cheap set of disc brakes, but a decent set. would the parts that i remove be worth anything on here or ebay?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehustler
    I'm new to all this, but I want to get a bike that will last me a while to start out with. i'm basically looking out the rockhopper comp disc or the stumpjumper. i want the disc brakes, but i think i can live without them for a while. the stumpjumper is lighter, nicer components all around and has lockout on the front fork.

so if i spent the extra couple hundred and bought the base model stumpjumper, how much would going to disc brakes later cost me? and not a cheap set of disc brakes, but a decent set. would the parts that i remove be worth anything on here or ebay?

thanks!
    If your going to go through all that trouble why not just buy a disc brake model in the first place?

Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    the disc brake model is $400 more. i can trick myself into buying a $1100 bike for something i've never done. but $1500 is pushing it.

mtbr member
    for something i've never done.
    That being said, I'd suggest a nice $500-$600 hard tail. The reasoning behind it is if you hate it you've still got $400 more in the bank. You've still got a great bike for street/bike path/date rides.
    Lastly if you do get in to mountain biking your going to trash that first bike learning how to ride. After the first or second year then drop some big coin.

Something to think about, Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That was the original plan. Road a rockhopper, base model, and didnt like it very much. road a couple more expensive bikes and they felt a lot better.

Humpmaster general

thanks!

I got the base model Stumpjumper. It comes with disc hubs. All you need is the disc brakes themselves. I got avid bb7's. They were $68 each. If you go with mechanical disc brakes you can use your original brake levers. The total upgrade to disc brakes cost me less then $140.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I got the base model Stumpjumper. It comes with disc hubs. All you need is the disc brakes themselves. I got avid bb7's. They were $68 each. If you go with mechanical disc brakes you can use your original brake levers. The total upgrade to disc brakes cost me less then $140.
    just the info i was looking for. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was in exactly the same position six months ago choice for my first real MTB between a nice hardtail with discs or a little more cash for a 2004 Stumpy FSR without discs.

I chose the the Stumpy and for first three months, the quaility of the bike did not make a difference, I was trashing a very expensive toy. Now I and very happy I choice I made the Stumpy is a good quaility bike which will last me for years (with the odd upgrade). If I tried to save a few $ by buying the hairdtail, I would be looking at buying a full suspension bike now.

I did upgrade to hydraulic discs a couple of months ago, a friend of mine sold me his new Hayes 9 from his Giant NSR2 (long story), dead easy to bolt on (your frames has the mounts, your hubs are disc), only bit that looks a little untidy is how the hose runs down the rear triangle, but that is me with a 2004 model.

The cost is less than an hour of your time and a set of brakes, being in Oz I don't know US prices, but you should be able to score a decent pair of new hydraulic discs for $250 or less (hint try ebay, the for sale board here, local MTB groups). (mine cost me $220 on the other side of the world)

Only question is does the $1500 Stumpjumper have any other extras (like better front forks) over the base $1100 Stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Get the avid bb7 mechanical brakes

Similar to Mr. Hass, I too have the Avid BB7 mechanical brakes on my stumpy. If do not want the trouble of bleeding the hydros the bb7 provides the best feel and stopping power that mechanical brakes have to offer. Best of all if anything goes wrong whilest trailing the tweo knob on the inside and outside of the calipher make life so much easier to make the necessary adjustments.

One of my friend's hydros had problems one ride, and we couldn't fix it. He had to go back an proceed to the nearest LBS to have the brakes bled. Apparently he turned over the bike to fix a flat w/c created bubbles in the hydro line.

I don't claim hydros to be inferior as a matter of fact i consider them superior in modulation to the bb7 mechs, its just that the mechs are soooooo much easier to fix out in the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the input. I know my bike will probably get trashed and beat up, but thats what the lifetime warrenty is for and it doesn't make sense to spend $600 on a bike now and $1100 on another one next year.

I will probably go with the mech disc upgrade eventually, just seems easier/cheaper than a hydro brake system. I guess the bb7's are pretty popular.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the input. I know my bike will probably get trashed and beat up, but thats what the lifetime warrenty is for and it doesn't make sense to spend $600 on a bike now and $1100 on another one next year.

I will probably go with the mech disc upgrade eventually, just seems easier/cheaper than a hydro brake system. I guess the bb7's are pretty popular.
    I was in the same boat - pushing the $ limit to get a SJ FSR Expert. I went with rim brakes knowing that the disc mounts were there. I've never had disk and I guess ignorance is bliss because I don't feel the need to go disk just yet. And, you can get some good deals on upgraded rim brake wheels. I picked up some Crossmax XL's on ebay for $300 - they have a ceramic brake surface which makes a pretty big difference- sort of like half way to disc without the weight or maintenance.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerJim
    That being said, I'd suggest a nice $500-$600 hard tail. The reasoning behind it is if you hate it you've still got $400 more in the bank. You've still got a great bike for street/bike path/date rides.
    Lastly if you do get in to mountain biking your going to trash that first bike learning how to ride. After the first or second year then drop some big coin.

Something to think about, Jim D.

that's some good advice.

plus it is unlikely that your first bike is going to be the perfect setup for you. An inexpensive hardtail is versatile enough that you can do mostly anything. As you ride more you're going to figure out what handling traits you want in a bike and what sort of riding and racing you prefer ie-long trail rides, XC racing, 24 hour, freeride etc. and then you can buy the perfect bike next time around.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I'm riding my first bike with discs after 10 years of *gasp* cantilevers and frankly can't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to running discs on XC bikes. Granted, I'm running the lowest end Avid BB5 mechanical discs now, but even their stopping power, albeit regarded as subpar by many who prefer BB7s or hydros, is plenty to haul me down extremely quickly on any XC style terrain. And I'm not a lightweight. Now on my impending downhill bike purchase I can see the point of great big 8" hydros however.

So I think TheHustler is probably right with his non-disc purchase, especially as a novice who A) probably won't be going fast enough downhill, on a hardtail, to justify discs, B) may actually regret the stopping power if he launches himself during a panic stop, and C) just doesn't have the money (or justification) right now. Add them later, it'll be reasonably priced ($200-300 if you go overboard with hydros), and frankly recreational mountain biking existed for yeeeeeears without disc brakes.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]