mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How much does your Enduro weigh?

I'm curious how much your 2005/2006 Enduro weighs. I had the 2003 Enduro Pro, but cracked the seat tube just above the weld. Specialized sent me the '06 Enduro pro frame and just had to purchase the shock and bottom bracket. The rest of my parts swapped over. However, I upgraded from XTR dual shifters/XT-RD to XT-Brake levers, X.9 triggers and X.9 RD.

Ended up with a 33 lb all-mountain machine that I am absolutely thrilled with!

Here's the component list:
    2006 Enduro Pro frame (size Large)
    Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (130mm - 150mm)
    Chris King Headset
    XT-752 cranks
    XT-ES71 BB
    XT brake levers
    XTR 965 calipers (rotor: 8" front, 6" rear)
    X.9 triggers
    X.9 RD
    XT FD
    SRAM 970 cassette 9spd 11-32t
    SRAM 971 chain
    Sun Ryno Lite XL w/ XT disc hubs
    Thomson Stem 90mm x 5 deg
    Thomson Seatpost
    WTB Laser V Stealth
    Shimano 540 pedals
    EC70 monkeylite riser bars
    ODI lock-on grips
    Spec Enduro 2.3 tires
    Last edited by enduro; 03-30-2006 at 04:05 PM.

aka dan51
    Great list of parts except for
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro
    Spec Enduro 2.3 tires
    I had a set, and two rides later got rid of them. Felt like I was riding on ice. They were decent in sand though.

I'm looking forward to cracking my 04 frame so I can get an 05/06 frame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Enduro SX is ripping at a manageable 32 pounds, or 15 kilograms. Fox Talas, 5th air, and generally light all mountain parts. Fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

how do u compare it to your old ride?

[/QUOTE]

please write a review, from the old enduro perspective, how does it climb, pedals, corner, brake, jump, you know; any particular trend about whats far better and what you didn't expected about that new frame. a pic would be nice too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... 2003 Enduro Pro vs 2006 Enduro Pro

Quote Originally Posted by checocc
    please write a review, from the old enduro perspective, how does it climb, pedals, corner, brake, jump, you know; any particular trend about whats far better and what you didn't expected about that new frame. a pic would be nice too [/QUOTE]

My '03 Enduro Pro was around 29 lbs, so I've had to get use to the extra weight on longer climbs. I really enjoyed my '03, but this one can take a lot more punishment b/c that's what it was built for. With the DHX Air Propedal, the '06 climbs very well. In my opinion, not much different than the '03 considering the weight diference. The '06 pedals vere nicely, i don't notice any bobbing at all. I have the platform set at about the half-way point. The suspension is very smooth, much better than the '03. The braking is about the same, but I certainly recommend an 8" rotor up front. As far as jumping, I don't hit big jumps. I do small drops (3 - 4ft to flat) and the bike handles the landings very well. I do miss the 29 lbs vs 33 lbs on longer rides, but guess it just means I need to get in better shape. On the downhills it handles very nicely, absorbing the bumps (large and small), cornering nicely (as long as I'm centered on the bike). If I get lazy and don't keep my weight centered then the front end tends to drift more than I'd like. We're still in the honeymoon phase. I haven't really had the chance to hammer it hard. I'll be able to have a really good comparison between the old and new in about 2 weeks, when a local trail opens up. This trail has a long climb and long descent with lots of roots, rocks and small drops. the more rides I put in, the better each one gets.

Overall I am very please with the upgrade to the 06 frame. It's not the fastest climber, but I would consider it a very capable "all mountain" bike for aggressive riders that can gets you to the top and brings you back down (grinning the whole way down).

-Enduro
    PS with my '03 enduro, I had it setup as a 6x6 bike. I added the BETD link in the back and use the AM1 130-150mm fork. With those changes the bike was very fun, but this one is even better.

Old vs. New (this picture doesn't show my SRAM components, will need to post another one with those)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

yeah, u sound like a honeymooner

anyway sweet ride, I'd like to hear how you feel after that trail ride (see if the love continues).
    that's cause need to decide wether to invest on my current ride (enduro 03, 04 Z1 FR, stan's converted stock wheels) or change it for new bike.
    I'm thinking on new wheelset, maybe some crossmax xl, cause those stockers feel like a wet noodle, at first i thought it was the frame, so I'm assuming that with the wheel flex gone the bike will feel lateral stiffer.
    and the second upgrade I'm thinking of is the rear shock, where a new RP3 sounds good and sending my same old shock to push is another option. what do u think about the old enduro frame stifness? is it worth it?
    I do a lot of climbing to the point where sometimes I wish for something lighter. but I like to descend very fast trough rock gardens and I'm almost 200#. not big drops only 2-3' ocasionally.
    If u where me, would u spend about $1K on upgrades or sell the old bike and put the rest for the new enduro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would put the $$ towards a new bike...

If it were me, i'd put the money towards a new bike.

The '06 Enduro is a kicka$$ bike, built for very aggressive style riding. Prior to my '03 frame cracking, i was already looking to start saving up for a new enduro. I had done the upgrade thing (new fork and BETD link to make it a 6x6) and it was nice, but still didn't have the solid feel that I was looking for.

The '06 enduro pro is a very solid ride. From the sounds of it, either the Enduro Pro or Elite would suit you well. With the ProPedal and bottom out control on the DHX Air, it really improves the feel of the ride. You can fine tune it until it's just right for your riding style.

I really like the SRAM x.9 triggers and RD. Very smooth and precise shifting. I had never had problems with my XT RD and XTR dual controls, but I think the SRAM are even better.

Next i'm going to remove the big-ring (44T) and install to a bashguard. I don't use the big-ring so I might as well lose it.

Hope this helps.

-Enduro

Shut up and RIDE!
    does your '06 enduro make a noise when you bunnyhop it? specifically the shock bushings. i just installed a dhx air for my '05 s works as a replacement for the 5th element. I noticed that it makes a sharp noise when i hop the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Noise?

Quote Originally Posted by doc-ock
    does your '06 enduro make a noise when you bunnyhop it? specifically the shock bushings. i just installed a dhx air for my '05 s works as a replacement for the 5th element. I noticed that it makes a sharp noise when i hop the rear wheel.
    I haven't noticed any noises coming from the rear. It feels solid and smooth for me.

I'm sure it is, but is your sag set correctly? Have you set the ProPedal to wide open (counter-clockwise) to see if it's the ProPedal making the noise? Can you feel stiction when it makes the sound?

-Enduro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Follow-Up review of the '03 Enduro Pro vs '06 Enduro Pro...

I have now ridden the local trail I mentioned above 4x. Today (4/23) I did two loops (23 miles). At the start of the ride there is 3 mile fireroad climb, which takes around 29 - 30 mins on this bike. With my '03 Enduro at the end of the season I was climbing the same hill in 27 mins, so I don't think this frame is that much different. Overall, I think the 06 climbs very well with the DHX Air. I don't notice any pedal feedback. The rear tire follows the terrain of the road very nicely.

On the downhills, I definitely notice a difference between the 03 and 06. There are some sections where my 03 would bounce around through the roots and rocks, but 06 seems to glide over the stuff much better. With my 03 I could launch over some sections with much better ease (lighter bike), but i'm now getting there with the 06.

The 06 is by far a better machine for the type of riding that I like doing. The only drawback is the added weight on the long climbs, but this will just take some getting use to. I'm really not that far behind my best times with the 03 on the 3 mile climb. Having the smooth 6" suspension on the downhills makes it all worth it.

two thumbs up for the 2006 Enduro Pro.

Track Junkie
    My '05 Enduro Pro weighs in at 32lbs. If I remove the SLIME tubes and DH pedals, it should be just a hair under 30lbs. Since this photo has been taken I have replaced the 5th Element AIR with the Fox DHX AIR.
    -B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

Shut up and RIDE!
    We found out that the shock bolts are the ones making the noise. there is some play between the bolts and the shock eyelets.

mtbr member
    Glad to see all the feedback between the old vs new. I have the chance to pickup an 06 Expert for a really great deal but was a little worried that the extra weight over my 04 S-works would not be worth it even though I have had a chance to ride the 06 a few times. The big reason I want the 06 is it just was so much more stable and fun going downhill and with my 220lbs having confidense in the bike is a huge help not that the 04 is bad it's just the 06 feels like it rides over anything and get take a pounding. I have already cracked my 04 and had it replaced.

I will have the 06 come June so I will post my thoughts on it all then after I have had some good seat time on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

yes there is some play but...

Quote Originally Posted by doc-ock
    We found out that the shock bolts are the ones making the noise. there is some play between the bolts and the shock eyelets.
    the first time I took out the shock of the frame, after reinstalling noticed noise coming from the shock when the suspension was moving; after close inspection saw the shock moving where it meets with frame (so yes there is some play there), only thing I did was to thight a little bit more that bolt and the problem was gone. Maybe you put so little torque on that bolt because u think will help to have less resistance for the shock to pivot. But the shock barely moves in that point, and since the allen bolt goes with an hex steel nut, there is no aluminum threads to damage, so u can put more torque.
    Hope this helps.