mtbr member
    Oct 2005

How much do you think my 2001 Enduro Pro HT is worth?

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a new, more XC type of bike, and selling my current bike which is a pretty beefy and heavy one.

The parts list is as follows:

2001 Specialized Enduro Pro HT Frame
    2003 Marzocchi MX Pro Fork
    ??? Seatpost
    Cane Creek S-PRO headset
    Bontrager H1-11 Stem
    Bontrager Crowbar 5degree Handlebars
    Shimano Deore BR-M525 Disc Brakes
    Sun Rhyno Lite Wheels / Deore Hubs
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires
    Shimano (Deore?) Rapid-fire shifters
    Performance Carbon Bar Ends
    Lizard Skins Carbon Chain Guard
    Truvativ Stylo Team Crankset '04 - Black, 44-32-22T, 175mm, ISIS
    Shimano XT M750 Rear Derailleur
    Chain - Wipperman Connex 8 speed Copper
    Pedals - SPD Compatible
    Front Derailleur - Shimano XT
    Seat - Specialized Race
    Cassette - SRAM 8 speed
    Bottom Bracket - Race Face Evolve XC

I know bikes don't have very good resale value typically. I haven't ridden in nearly as much as I should have and it's well taken care of. I feel like it's worth (at least someone might pay) ~$800. Anyone have any divergent opinions?

Thanks!

mechmann_mtb
    800 seems steep for a used bike that doesn't have really great components.

although.... when trying to sell a used car last year one of my buddies told me to ask alot more for it. when i pressed him on the matter he shrugged and said. "there is an @ss for every seat, price won't matter to the right @ss." i laughed.

i was thinking of selling my old Haro HT after getting my Enduro. i offered it to a few friends and they didn't want it. i looked around to see how much i might get for my museum piece (the bike is a '92 and Haro Extreme didn't make the aluminum elevated chain stay frame for more than a year or two, they went FS in '93) and it seemed like i would only be able to get a couple hundred dollars.

i gave up on selling it. bought a magnetic resistance trainer and put the Haro on it in the living room. we get ALOT of use out of it and i am glad i didn't get rid of my museum piece.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    800 seems steep for a used bike that doesn't have really great components.

although.... when trying to sell a used car last year one of my buddies told me to ask alot more for it. when i pressed him on the matter he shrugged and said. "there is an @ss for every seat, price won't matter to the right @ss." i laughed.

i was thinking of selling my old Haro HT after getting my Enduro. i offered it to a few friends and they didn't want it. i looked around to see how much i might get for my museum piece (the bike is a '92 and Haro Extreme didn't make the aluminum elevated chain stay frame for more than a year or two, they went FS in '93) and it seemed like i would only be able to get a couple hundred dollars.

i gave up on selling it. bought a magnetic resistance trainer and put the Haro on it in the living room. we get ALOT of use out of it and i am glad i didn't get rid of my museum piece.
    Yeah I figured $800 would seem like too much, I just meant that that's what I "feel" like it's worth. I love my bikes and I love riding them, but seriously there's about as much resale value in bikes as there is in cars I suppose (that is to say, as soon as it's not new, it's worth 30% less). I'm just trying to find a good figure that would be fair to whomever is buying it. I guess I might just put it on consignment at a local shop and pick a price to see who wants it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Something to consider, which may not apply in this case. Sometimes when the bike has really high end components, but the frame isn't an "S works" or the best model, it is more cost effective to part it out.

Some people rather ride an "S works" just because it's an S works, vs. a lower end frame like a Marathon with better components.