mtbr member
    Apr 2006

How many 6'-2" riders use XL Stumpy FSR???

How many of yall are 6'-2" and ride a XL Stumpy FSR??? I ask because I have ridden both the large and xlarge and still neither one seems right of couse I am coming off a XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 6'2 and have a 2004 L Stumpjumper FSR Elite. It's a stock bike and I find the reach fine. Incidently I borrowed a L 2007 Expert from my local bike shop for a weekend and it was fine sizewise.

Took a while, like any new bike, to get use to, but I prefer the smaller bike as I feel I can throw it about a bit more.

On the contray to this though, one of my riding friends is the same height but has the set up of the seat post a lot higher than me if he has a go on my bike. Surpose he may have longer legs/ shorter torso or could just be a personal preference.

mtbr dismember

Me

Quote Originally Posted by Blk02
    How many of yall are 6'-2" and ride a XL Stumpy FSR??? I ask because I have ridden both the large and xlarge and still neither one seems right of couse I am coming off a XC hardtail.
    I'm perhaps a few mm short of 6'2" and I have '05 and '07 SJ XL's and I love them. I rode a L Epic for a while and never realized it was too small for me until I rode the XL. After that I could not stand to be on it and I sold it.

mtbr member

XL for me.

I am a half inch taller then 6'2" and I ride a 06 XL Stumpy. I had a 03 L Stumpy and always had lower back pain and knees hurt after 2 hours of riding. I had my bike in the shop and was given a XL loaner for a weekend, noticed a better riding position and no pain. Sold the 03 for the 06 and now ride up to 6 hours with no back pain.

mtbr member
    6'2" even (measured barefoot and at end of the day)

I ride an 06 XL Stumpy FSR and LOVE it. I demo'ed a L but it just felt small. It was nimble and flickable but for the type of riding I would be doing it would not have been comfortable. The cockpit felt too small and the seat was too far forward. The LBS had to special order the XL. The first time out on it I thought "...this is a big bike, did I make a mistake?" 5 minutes later I am blasting over curbs and looking for any obstacles to ride down, over, or under. 1 year and a few months later, I have no regrets. I did pick up a shorter stem (thanks mopartodd) to reduce the stretched feel.

You really need to ride both to determine which one you prefer. I have read about 6'4" riders on L Stumpys and 6'0" riders on XL Stumpys. If you still can't make up your mind, then you will need to take the bike out for a longer test ride. From demo'ing both, the L felt wrong immediately. The XL felt really big but it was comfortable.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

XL for me too

Went back and forth deciding between L and XL. I like that my 06 XL Stumpy had the extra welded piece at the seat post (I believe not on the L). Not that I'm an agro rider but it just seemed like a nice place for extra reinforcement for my fat arse. I'm 6'-2", but 6'-9" with the afro. I changed out the stock stem and got a Thompson X4 at 90mm, that helped put me back in the saddle and not feel as stretched out. I suggest asking your LBS to put a smaller stem on the XL and see how it feels. I also came from a XC hardtail and my friends who already had dualies were telling me to get a L. Get the size that feels best to YOU!!!

Jumps Stumps
    I'm 6'1" and felt better on the XL during my test runs.
    I bought the XL. At first I was worried it was to big but after getting the suspension down I had no regrets.

Speedhubbing at last

6'3" here & ride XL

I got used to a slightly large-feeling frame for XC riding a few years back while choosing a 'L' for really agressive/DH riding. My 2003 XL Epic gave way to a 2006 XL Stumpy Pro last season, and I couldn't be happier. I test rode a large Stumpy at a local demo fleet event, and it didn't feel as roomy for long days in the saddle.

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Blk02
    Marla -- the big tourist. The faker. With her there, I was a faker too. Her lie reflected my lie. And all of a sudden, I felt nothing. With her there, I couldn't cry. All I could do was ride.

mtbr member

Large for me..

I am also 6' 2" and I find the large stumpy felt best for me. I bought an '07 Expert about 6 weeks ago and I am very, very happy with it. I think at 6' 2" both large and XL will work. Just go with what feels best for you!