mtbr member
    May 2008

How to make my epic 29er a bit more playful?

hey guys im looking for some help on ways to make my epic a bit more playful. I rode my buddies 13 trek superfly 100SL elite and I liked the bit more relaxed headtube angle on that bike. Im just looking for some ways to make my bike more fun like his to ride.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Some easy, low-dollar changes would be less drop to the bars and a fatter, grippier front tire.

For a bit more, a longer-travel fork would have a pretty significant effect on its character too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I already moved the seat back, Im trying to essentially reduce the head tube angle to make it less 'racey'

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    More sag in the rear, less in the front. That's free.
    Put a spacer under the lower head set bearing.
    Put on a 27.5 rear wheel. Or a 29" tire with lower profile. Those will lower the BB which you may not like.

Wider bars won't change the head tube angle but will make the steering feel slower as it takes more hand motion to effect the same change in wheel angle.

If you go too far in reducing the head tube angle the front will push in turns.

I think the manual says a 100mm fork is the max.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    hey guys im looking for some help on ways to make my epic a bit more playful. I rode my buddies 13 trek superfly 100SL elite and I liked the bit more relaxed headtube angle on that bike. Im just looking for some ways to make my bike more fun like his to ride.
    Shorter stem, maybe a 65 or 70, wider bars & as mentioned, a bigger front tire, like a Maxxis Ardent or? 2.3 is a good size while keeping the weight down. What year, model, wheel size is your epic BTW?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Shorter stem, maybe a 65 or 70, wider bars & as mentioned, a bigger front tire, like a Maxxis Ardent or? 2.3 is a good size while keeping the weight down. What year, model, wheel size is your epic BTW?
    2012 Epic S works 29er....love the bike just trying to make it more playful and relax the HA a bit.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: How to make my epic 29er a bit more playful?

Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    I already moved the seat back, Im trying to essentially reduce the head tube angle to make it less 'racey'
    If that helps, great. For me, the saddle position either matches my riding position or it doesn't. If I moved it back, I'd just end up sitting on the nose.

mtbr member
    Sell it and get a Stumpjumper.

official eMpTyBRain
    Have the forks travel increased (if possible) by 10-20mm AND get a shorter stem, about 20-30mm shorter.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Bad cat!
    Can you use a cane creek angleset in an epic? Anyone know? If you can, that could be fun. My 'fun tires' are Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Purgatory 2.4 in back, run them lower pressure for more play factor. And a dropper post! That will liven things up. Epic is a capable short travel "trail" bike IMHO, and then you can easily put things back to XC mode and go race if you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I put a 120mm Fox fork on my epic, got a pair of 700mm bars and it was a much better trailbike.

The fork was a 95-120 Talas, but I only used the 95 setting on long steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Why would you buy a S-works epic and do anything but race with it? It is THE XC race bike. If you want something more "fun" get a Stumpjumper FSR or a Camber. Seriously with the brain front and back, steep geometry and light carbon wheels it was designed to be ridden hard and fast. Anything else especially with a s-works is a waste.

It is your bike so obviously you can do what you want with it but it just blows my mind that someone would spend that kind of money and then change it into a compromised trail bike.

It's like buying a Ferrari and asking what kind of mud tires should I put on it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    enderjs I agree with you that it is THE XC race bike but I disagree regarding it's versatility. Depending upon how you set the bike up it can take on less race more ride personality. Wider bars, fatter front tire, more sag can bring out a different albeit more playful side for this design. One might not like the Camber due to it's lack of BRAIN and the Stumpy is a different animal with all it's travel. That said the design is clearly not made for hucking, drops or ENDURO.

Bad cat!
    Can't see anything wrong with taking something you already have and tweaking it, and besides, maybe he got a killer deal on it used. Sure it's an s-works but end of the day it's just a bike--supposed to be fun. Get a 120 fork, put a big slab of rubber on the front, stick a dropper post on and tell us what you think Barry1, love to hear how it rides. Be a rebel!

mtbr member
    A local rider ran an S-works Epic at a recently Enduro race and finished top 5 in the Open/Expert class. I believe he had a 120mm fork, wide bars, short stem and more aggressive tires and a dropper post. That bike ripped!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Remember the Epic EVO back in 2010 maybe? It was a 26er but with a dropper post and 110 or 120 fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A former teammate of mine was crazy fast in technical singletrack and descending on her Epic. They're all more versatile than the thinly sliced categories we have now would have one believe.

mtbr member
    They are very versatile. I had a 2011 Epic Carbon Comp 29er and used to think it was the best, most versatile bike ever made.

The things that made the biggest difference for me:

- Fox fork. I didn't go 120, but know a few who have. I actually went with a G2 F29 100 and the steering became MUCH more stable and less twitchy/ racey. The Reba is a POS, IMO. And the brain in the fork is going to make it less playfull (harder to pre-load, etc).

- Shorter stem. Mine was a Medium, and came with a 90. Ran great with an 80mm.

- 2.4 Purgatory up front. 2.2 Captain or Ground Control rear.

- Dropper post. Can't tell you how much of a difference these have made in my overall riding, but putting one on the Epic completely made that bike transition from an XC machine to a Trail bike.

Be careful, though. After riding the bejeebus out of that bike for two years (only had the dropper the 2nd year), I moved to a SJ FSR Expert 29 (w/ brain) and put a 140 fork on it. Best bike I've ever owned .
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."