Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012

How to make 2011 Epic Comp go tubeless?

I've got a stock 2011 Epic Comp with the DT Swiss X420SL rims and would like to go tubeless. What do I need to do to get make that happen?

The wheels already have the blue rim tape on it (I think it's from Specialized). My tires are the stock S-Works "The Captain" and "Fast Trak LK" that still have life left in them...both the 2Bliss ready tires (26" x 2.0").

Should they have come with valves? What valves should I buy...are they all pretty generic? I saw some video early on where the installer had to drill out the rim a little to make the hole a little larger...I definitely don't want to do that!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    1994 Specialized Hard Rock FS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the 2011 Epic Comp Carbon 29er, but I think it should be similar. My bike has the DT Swiss X450SL 29er rims. It also came with blue tubeless rim tape, tubeless valvestems in a small parts bag (along with spare derailleur hanger, seatpost bottle cage mount, etc).

I currently use the Stans tubeless valve stems, and they work well. There are many other brands of course. No need to drill anything. You will also need sealant of course. Inspect your rim tape, if it is damaged you may need to replace it to seal the spoke holes. I am now using the Stan's tape, but many people use gorilla tape of other cheaper options.

I recommend test inflating your tires to see if you can seat the beads before adding any sealant. It is a bummer to pour in the sealant and be unable to inflate the tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsrblack View Post
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    The instructions should help you out, and also show you some of the items you'll need.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...tion-Guide.pdf