mtbr member
    Jul 2007

How To Inflate Tubeless Tires

Got my '08 S-works epic a month ago in the dead of winter. We're having a winter thaw, and tomorrow's going to be my first ride. My LBS is an hour away. My tires are flat. They had been set up "tubeless". No sealant was used. We are planning to put some in once all the snow is gone. This is my first time running tubeless.

Anybody know how to properly pump up a tubeless tire (this is a Specialized tire on the Specialized tubeless rim). I tried pumping them up with a hand pump. One tire held pressure. The other went flat within a day.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ues an air compressor at least to seat the tire bead

The Other Dude
    I put soapy water on the bead (usually use dish soap) of the tire, then use a compressor to get them to snap into place easy, it works very well getting everything to seat properly.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

go get some Stan's sealant too!

there must be a shop closer to you than 1 hour? Use the soap bubbles-not the water to seal them, then ride. Make sure you bring a pump with you too on the ride. But get that Stan's sealant before your next ride.

Just deflate the tire, pull the tire off the bead a couple of inches, and pour in a little of Stan's magic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    The specialized system is only tubless ready it isn't ust. You need selent in them for them to work correctly.