mtbr member

How does one land a great deal?

Hi

I really love the specialized stump jumper, they fit me like a glove. They are truly great bikes. I would love to purchase a 29er marathon or S works. Is there anybody out there that is shopper savvy and knows how to get a great deal. Wait to the end of season? Is there a distributor who sells these guys for cheap? I would rather buy new then gamble on ebay or craigslist. It is hard to swallow the price tag on some of these mountain bikes. What has happened to my sport? Specialized is not the only one guilty of these inflated prices. These bikes cost more then my car. Is this is all about supply and demand? Sorry for *****ing and acting like a cry baby, please forgive me, we are all in the same boat. I'm just looking for any advice on how to get the best deal!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Join the crowd man. I couldnt afford a new Stumpy comp 29 so I scoured the intrawebs for 3 months until I found a one year old version with 40 miles on it, like new for half price.

I'd also like to have my wife drive the Lexus IS350....but instead she's rocking the new civic. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up bro!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The higher-end 2014 models are starting to arrive in shops. If you check the Specialized retailers in your area, you might find a 2013 marked down by a few hundred, but they don't seem to drop the prices by a huge amount - maybe 20% from MSRP.

Otherwise, be patient, and look for something used. I got my road bike from a guy who thought he was going to make it a part of his lifestyle, but changed his mind after less than 500 total miles. You just have to watch and wait. It helps to know exactly which models and size you want. If it shows up on Craigslist, jump on it ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good call. My buddy picked up the carbon comp 2013 on year end discount for $2700 at a LBS. There were deals popping on carbon only according to them.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    One option that I've seen at the shop where I work is to find out if your local dealer sponsors any clubs. If so, join said club. Usually around the beginning of the calendar year, Specialized allows clubs to buy the latest and greatest at a significant discount. Though the discounts aren't as good as they used to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Our local shop hosts a tent sale every fall with closeout deals that are usually pretty awesome, maybe one in your area does the same?

They should be having sales on last year's models to clear out room for the new bikes.

You may also be able to find a dealer that does/can access a scratch and dent bike?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by badsmells View Post
    Hi

I really love the specialized stump jumper, they fit me like a glove. They are truly great bikes. I would love to purchase a 29er marathon or S works. Is there anybody out there that is shopper savvy and knows how to get a great deal. Wait to the end of season? Is there a distributor who sells these guys for cheap? I would rather buy new then gamble on ebay or craigslist. It is hard to swallow the price tag on some of these mountain bikes. What has happened to my sport? Specialized is not the only one guilty of these inflated prices. These bikes cost more then my car. Is this is all about supply and demand? Sorry for *****ing and acting like a cry baby, please forgive me, we are all in the same boat. I'm just looking for any advice on how to get the best deal!

Thanks
    You can get a Rockhopper for under a thousand bucks. But if you insist on top of the line, then you're going to pay significantly more for it.

mtbr member
    Cash always works for me.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h View Post
    Cash always works for me.
    Yes, paid cash. I got additional 10% off this way. Also, dont ever pay full msrp as listed on spesh's website. Most shop sell for 10% less and claim it is on sale when actually that is the real price.

These two together will get you 20% off. If you check out the chain stores like mikes bike or wheelworld in CA, this yr model are going to be on sale 1/1/14. Jus hqve to pick up in store.

mtbr member
    You can get decent deals on 13 stock now it seems

was able to get a '13 Camber Comp with spds and flipped to tubeless for 2200

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Scour the used bikes in Craigs List.

I stalked my '13 SJ FSR '29er early in the season at a rental shop, and bought it at the end of the season for a deep discount. That was a bit lucky, because I don't think Spec is a common rental brand. Maybe there's a demo bike somewhere at a shop near you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ebay - Saved searches with email alerts, try various different search criteria.
    Pinkbike Buy/Sell Forums - use broad searches and look at everything.
    Craigslist - Use a Craigslist search engine such as Search Tempest, and a broad search such as "specialized" and look through everything.

The key is to keep looking constantly, be patient, and most importantly... be ready to pull the trigger when you do find what you're looking for, or else someone else will snatch it up.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    IMO, the best time to buy one is around the time the current year models come out, because the previous year stock will be discounted from Specialized...so the shops can get them a little cheaper and sell them for a better discounted price. The only problem with doing that is not all sizes are still available, so you might not be able to get what you want.

Another option is to find a shop that either has previous year bikes in stock or a demo fleet that they will be selling off.

Those are probably your best options for getting a sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I found mine here Classifieds > For Sale > Sporting Goods & Bikes - Claz.org
    Not new, but in good condition and a great price
    I hope you get lucky and find a really good offer

mtbr member

Used.

Got my 1-year-old Sworks for $5K and the original owner had put 3M protective tape on every surface. Mint.

Looks like he buys a new one each year. He approached me last week to buy his 2013 XXI for $6K. I'm sure it would be mint too, but mine's still great. (And my wife would divorce me.)

If you want an Epic, PM me - think he's still selling it.

Long story short: you can find great used bikes.

mtbr member
    Just depends where you live I guess...

In my area, NoCal, I've never had any problem offering -20% on any last-year bike model, just about any brand.

I have found 2013 Stumpy FSR Comps for $2399 ($3000), any color you like, just as long as it's the red & black one

Found 2013 Carve Comps for $1199 ($1450) last week, both colors.

But, if you don't have competing shops, then all the other tips might work...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I buy new Enduro's every 2 years and buy them a year old. Here is the thing with Specialized. Within 1-2 years max of a new bike, they typically lose about 50% of their value. After that, they usually hold that same value for 3-5 more years. I have bought a 2008, 2010, and 2012 for the same money I bought my original 2008. I don't see any other brands that drop the value so quickly, but then retain that value for several more years. You can usually get a better deal on eBay and sell higher when done locally on Craigslist. Heck, you can already find Sworks Enduros for just over $5k on a 2013. A $4k Expert can usually be had for the low 2's a year later.

mtbr member
    Bought my 2011 SW Epic 29er in August 2011. The LBS had 2 or 3 in stock and the owner said the "new models are almost here".

Saved over 30%.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37