mtbr member
    May 2005

How do you clean your bikes ?

I'm not sure if water is safe on our bikes, or will it cause rust on some screws somewhere inside the quick releases ?

Usually if i ride dry dust i just try to wipe it off, but most of the trails I ride are sticky mud and I have no choice but to wash it, is this safe ? i wash approx 2 times a week, then lube the chain and shifting components.. is there anything else i need to be worry about ? is this even the proper way to maintain or clean a bike ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2mtb
    I'm not sure if water is safe on our bikes, or will it cause rust on some screws somewhere inside the quick releases ?

Usually if i ride dry dust i just try to wipe it off, but most of the trails I ride are sticky mud and I have no choice but to wash it, is this safe ? i wash approx 2 times a week, then lube the chain and shifting components.. is there anything else i need to be worry about ? is this even the proper way to maintain or clean a bike ?
    that should work, if you want you can use the mr.clean spray with soap and filter. i used it to clean my hardrock and brand new SXT. it works like i carm but i clean and whip the brakes clean and wait for it to dry and then lube it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I lick mine clean
    Weightweenie parts for sale on mtbr: click here

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I usually don't use water to clean my bike. I wait for the mud to dry and wipe it off with a brush and rag afterwards. Lube the chain occasionally with white lightning and it's ready to go.

dragonfly
    I go to a self service car wash and prop my bike up. drop in 2.50 and voila

spray tire cleaner
    spray prewash
    spray rinse
    finally spray wax on the frame and avoide the brakes
    and quickly rewax my car too.

all for 2.50 :0

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by new2mtb

DO NOT USE A HOSE OR PRESSURIZED WATER ON YOUR BIKE!!!!!! It will force water and grit past seals and cause you to have to replace parts that you would not have to replace for a long time. Use a wet rag or a spray bottle if you have to. If you must use a hose do not spray near anything that has a bearing or a seal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    DO NOT USE A HOSE OR PRESSURIZED WATER ON YOUR BIKE!!!!!! It will force water and grit past seals and cause you to have to replace parts that you would not have to replace for a long time. Use a wet rag or a spray bottle if you have to. If you must use a hose do not spray near anything that has a bearing or a seal.

Or move to AZ where all you have to do is wipe it down and apply more lube...

mtbr member
    Most bearings these days are sealed, so as long as you're not using a high pressure hose (ie, car wash) you're fine with water. I rinse the heavy dirt off mine with the hose, then use a larger brush and some diluted simple green to get the rest of the bike. Dry and ride really fast to get all the water off, relube the chain and any other moving part and call it a day. I sometimes wipe down the frame with Pedros Bike Lust spray or remove the chain to give it a good cleaning if it needs it as well.

Takes about 8-10 minutes from start to finish.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.