The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. How do Specialized tires compare?

I bought my first real bike from a Specialized dealer, and have bought all of my tires from the same source, so I don't have any experience with other brands (kenda, maxxis, etc.). For those of you who have run other brands, how do they compare? Does Specialized have proven tread patterns and good quality? I have run several different Purgatory's (Control, Grid, S-Works) and a couple of Eskars and have liked them well enough.

Turner owner
    Really good in my opinion.
    At the moment I'm on Eskars on my Commencal Meta 6
    and a Clutch / Chunder combo on my Turner DHR. I've tried most other brands (Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Michelin) and the Specialized tires perform exceptionally well, even compared to the "big" brands.
    Member of the Trailjunkies
    Turner RFX
    Turner DHR
    Evil Faction

At Work
    Personal preference. I have not run Spesh tires in years, but they always had good tires. Some lines were/are better than others.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    I don't have a ton of experience but I ran Captain Control front/ S-Works Fast Trak rear this summer which did very well for general XC trail riding until it started getting wet. Now I'm rubbing the Captain Controls front and rear 2.2/2.0 in the mud/snow and they've been very predictable. So I can't really compare across many tires but the Captains consistently get positive marks. I plan to run the Captains and/or Fast Traks depending on the conditions to race this summer.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

King of Middle Earth
    In So cal, my favorite Spesh tire WAS the S-works Roll-X unitl it was disconned. I have ridden the Fast Traks front and rear and liked them. I'm sold on Kend Nevegals (currently Small Block 8) but Spesh is a not too distant second for me on my terrain.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Some of the best tires I've ever ridden for sure. I run a captain on the rear and a purgatory on the front right now and really like this setup. Also, they are super easy to run tubeless and wont break the bank. I also have a set of fast traks for the summer.

MrR

mtbr member
    I love the Spech tires. I do mostly XC. I just put a renegade control on the rear and it rocks! At under 500g its Super light, handles great, and thus far has handled the likes of many trails including national! The s works get a bit light on the sidewall, I am a little scared out here for rippage. I will take an extra 50 grams for that security.

Mountain Man Dan
    Specialized tires are great. I'm a fan of the Captain Controls. I have a set on my bike now.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Man, I miss the old S-works Roll-X tires. Those were awesome here too! I liked the Captain that came on the front of my Epic. I'm waiting to pass judgement on the Renegade that came in the rear as snowy trails are not a good indicator of their performance.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I should add that I am in southern AZ! No sign of snow this week.

mtbr member
    Great tires IMHO. I run the eskars on my pitch- tubeless. I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    I run Grid UST Captains on my SS; 2.2 front, 2.0 rear. Like all Captains, very predictable. They're great for the tame trails (er, fire roads) around Los Gatos, be they wet or dry.

mtbr member
    Great tires, I have been on the Escar and Chunder control end Chunder SX, I even did a review:

http://all-mountain-next.blogspot.co...er-sx-and.html

I want to try the butcher and clutch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've tried all the highly reviewed tires listed on this site like the panaracers, maxxis, etc. I recently went to some specialized captain control 2.2 tubeless and the best I've ridden so far. I may have finally found my favorite tires.

I was skeptical with it being a big name bike tire and figured it was just to sell tires to people buying the specialized name...but the best I've ridden and would recommend the captain control 2.2's to anyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great tires. Just like any other company some of their tires get great reviews and some don't. Just depends on your trail conditions and how you ride.

Ive found them to wear very well, my rear tire lasted a year which was about 1k miles of riding with some street riding as well.

Specialized started making tires before they got into making bikes, it all depends on the model and you trail conditions as it is with any tire. But overall no complaints with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've never chosen Specialized tires in the past, but I bought a new SJ FSR recently that came with Purgatory tires, and I've been impressed with them. Traction has been awesome on everything from rock crawling to loose soil to hardpack to wet roots to icy/snowy trails. They aren't a fast rolling tire and they aren't that light, so I wouldn't choose them for XC racing, but for me traction is a priority over speed and I'm really liking the Purgatories.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've had Specialized Captain. Very nice tire. Replaced it with Specialized Chunder Control. We'll see how she does tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I really like Specialized tires. As previously stated their sidewalls can be pretty thin on the Sworks models so I often use Controls, at least on the rear, even when racing XC.

Favorite winter/spring combo is Renegade rear, Fast Track front. In the summer I often switch to Fast Tracks front and rear.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    For my Epic and for soft condition :
    > Front = Sworks 2.00 Fastrak
    > Rear = SWorks 2.10 Renegade (year 2011, not 2010)

For my Epic and for hard condition :
    > Front = Sworks 2.25 Purgatory
    > Rear = SWorks 2.25 Purgatory or Control 2.10 Renegade (year 2011, not 2010)

For my Single full rigid and full titan :
    > Front = Shawble RocketRon 2.40 EVO
    > Rear =SWorks 2.25 Purgatory