mtbr member

How to determin # of chain links for Epic

My friend wants me to install a new chain on his 2007 Epic Expert Medium. I have done this for many single speeds and hardtails. I here that you need to account for swing arm movement on full suspensions thus you need to take all of the air out of the brain shock. I dont really want to go there. Can I simply use the big-big method used on hardtails and and 1 link? Or can someone with a similar bike tell me how many links there bike has.

Pastor Josh
    No you don't have to change anything for the full suspension, just install it like you would on anything else.
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeshwa24
    No you don't have to change anything for the full suspension, just install it like you would on anything else.
    +1 but I prefer the Big-Small vertical pulley method of chain sizing. To each their own though!

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Don't you have the old chain to lay the new one out beside it then remove excess links?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    Don't you have the old chain to lay the new one out beside it then remove excess links?
    What if the old chain wasn't the right size or broke?

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    What if the old chain wasn't the right size or broke?
    Wrong size-that's a possibility but a long shot!
    Broke-It'd probably only lose a link and one link isn't going to make that much difference
    Just my opinion though.Personally i just measure the chain against the old one,but i've never had to replace someone elses or on a 2nd hand bike.Having said all that,this weekend i'm replacing my entire drive train and going for a double and bash so my method then goes out the window

mtbr member
    I generally run my chains a link or two shorter. It sucks with crosschaining, but the added tension creates faster shifting.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

changing the chain

hey there, i did this the other day on my full supension and it really isn't that bad to bleed the shock, it takes only about 30 seconds and it is worth going the extra step to make sure it's right, just make sure the shock is angled so that the valve is the highest point, failure to do this may result in oil coming out and not air. then wrap the chain around the largest cog and largest chain ring and add 1 full link. (do not feed through derailleur) hope this helps and like i said you should be able to get it done in about 5 min.