Goathead Gladiator

how deep do you really need the seatpost

'04 Stumpy.

OK I admit it i cut my seatpost a bit short, probably by an inch now I regret it.

I would like to just go and buy another one, but before I do, I am wondering if putting the seatpost higher than the little hole is really that bad or is Spec. just playing it safe?

I notice when remove seatpost and look in frame, there is a cut out where the top tube meats the seat tube, but it is not cut out all round, there would still be the curve of the seatpost touch the front-sides.

Anyone have any real-life stories about damaging a specialized frame ( or any frame, for that matter ) by putting the seatpost too high?

-Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I've never busted one personally....

but I know of a couple of people that have. One was a Trek hardtail the other was Spec FSR. In both cases seat post insertion was too shallow. In the case of the hardtail the guy liked smaller frames, to the point that a 410mm Thomson was still a bit too short. Over time the weld at the seat tube/top tube junction cracked due to the excess stress place on it. In the case of the FSR the rider liked to drop his seat post lower than recommended when bombing the downhills. He cut his post too short so that it was not visible when the post was extended to normal riding position. This also resulted in an eventual crack at the weld. I would highly recommend maintaing your seat post legth so that you can see it in that little hole no matter what position it is in. While Specialized may be tending to err on the "safe side". It is deffinately possible to damage your frame by not following their recomendations. So pay attention to minimum insertion requirements! There are variables of course, rider weight being the main varaible. But even light riders will place enough stress on the frame to eventually cause a failure in that area. So stick with what the big S recommends. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Gravity Rides Everything
    definitely don't do it. i'd actually recommend having more than that little hole suggests. shortening the amount of seatpost in the frame increases stress significantly. and spec-ed won't warranty it if you break it with a too-short seatpost.

mtbr member
    If you get a Thompson seatpost, you'll find that the minimum insertion distance marked on it is actually greater than the Specialized FSR frame indicates. I got a response from Thompson that it would be OK to go with the Specialized measurement, but that would tend to indicate that the Big S aren't leaving much margin, so I definitely wouldn't wanna go for less.

mtbr member
    This is not the same issue, but since you mentioned Thomson ...

I have an '06 Epic (size M) with a Thomson Elite 367mm post. If you read the instructions that come with the Elite, it says "On some bicycle frames the seat tube extends long above the top tube. Make sure you insert the Thomson Seatpost so that it sinks below the frame's top tube ... The Thomson Seatpost is perfectly safe to run at its max line-in any frame. However, please be warned that if the seatpost is not sunk below the top tube of the frame, there is a risk of damagin the bicycle frame."

Now I don't run my seatpost at the max height, but if I did, I would be going against the Thomson warning as regards the depth of the post in relation to the top tube. Oddly enough, Spec. spec's the Epic Marathon (sizes S-M) with this same length post. As it is with my seatpost height, the bottom of it hits just about the bottom of the top tube/seat tube junction. So, is this Thomson being too careful, or somehow not an issue with the Epic frame?

Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    If you get a Thompson seatpost, you'll find that the minimum insertion distance marked on it is actually greater than the Specialized FSR frame indicates. I got a response from Thompson that it would be OK to go with the Specialized measurement, but that would tend to indicate that the Big S aren't leaving much margin, so I definitely wouldn't wanna go for less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This is Specialized Enduro -03 frame

I don't know is this caused by too short seatpost, but I think it's possible....

Goathead Gladiator
    thanks to all who replied, especially that last reply with the picture - very scary! I guess time to go spend $60 on a seatpost .... sigh. Maybe I'll put a wanted to buy" in these mtbr classifieds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    '04 Stumpy.

OK I admit it i cut my seatpost a bit short, probably by an inch now I regret it.

I would like to just go and buy another one, but before I do, I am wondering if putting the seatpost higher than the little hole is really that bad or is Spec. just playing it safe?

I notice when remove seatpost and look in frame, there is a cut out where the top tube meats the seat tube, but it is not cut out all round, there would still be the curve of the seatpost touch the front-sides.

Anyone have any real-life stories about damaging a specialized frame ( or any frame, for that matter ) by putting the seatpost too high?

-Thanks
    You don't want this to happen:

That's my '00 and the post was all the way down to the little hole.

mtbr member
    I had a seat tube let go on my '00 Enduro. First thing they asked me was if the seatpost was above that hole? Fortunately for me it was always visible in the hole so Specialized replaced the frame for me under warranty.

Also fortunately for me, I was literally "just riding along" when it let go rather than navigating a tricky down or uphill section of trail. The seat just fell away from me and I had to walk out. Again, fortunatley for me, I wasn't very far from the parking lot and was on a group ride so had assistance had I needed it.

Bottom line: I think you've made the right choice in deciding to get a new post.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    thanks to all who replied, especially that last reply with the picture - very scary! I guess time to go spend $60 on a seatpost .... sigh. Maybe I'll put a wanted to buy" in these mtbr classifieds
    I guess it also depends on your weight and the height you set your post at. Since you where able to cut some length off the post you probably didn't run it that high in the first place (<20cm), so if you not too heavy (say <80kg), it maybe just fine like this.

I also read somewhere about a guideline that there should be at least a 3rd of the posts length in the frame. But that's probably only to protects the post from breaking. In this case it's the frame we care for the most, and the possible warranty issue of not having the post covering the small hole.

I replaced mine with a Thompson, for the looks and to shave off a bit of weight. If you don't want to spend the $, maybe you can ask someone for their original Specialized post? (I'm located in Europe, so considering the shipping costs it wouldn't be worth it).
    Last edited by djska; 03-20-2006 at 12:30 AM.