Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to build brand loyalty

838 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  chipolopolo 
#1 · (Edited)
I had signed up for the AES BCT Race, (Arizona Endurance Series) I brought my 2008 S-works Epic into DNA Cycles, Avondale, Arizona for a tune up the Wednesday prior to the Saturday race. Got a call from the tech Thursday, hey....your frame is cracked....WHAT!!!, yeah, really but I already spoke to Spechy, there going to cover it.

Great, but what about Saturdays race? Oh,....we have a shop Chamber 29er you can use. So Tuesday comes around and I go pick up my BRAND new (2010) frame. I had just ordered a new set of Roval wheels anyway so I have an essentially new S-works.

Thanks Specialized, customer for life. And it's not just for the performance either now.

#6 ·
Seems to me the underlying but major issue here is that the frame already cracked. What I have tried to escape from is the shop/warranty focus of complicated bikes. Some evidently don't mind this "it may break at any time and it won't surprise me at all" which literally has a branded like "piece of your mind" at all times. The shop is your hero today but if the break had slightly different circumsances it would all be different. Good shop/brand and bad shop/brand- they all make you so dependent which is I guess their success formula.

#7 ·
Raker,

I get it, I don't agree, but I get it. I have seen, heard about and experienced broken and cracked frames in chromo, aluminum, and even a Litespeed Ti bike. I consider myself a "lite" rider and not a banger hard on components. It just comes with the territory. All materials have a cycle life, doesn't matter what it is.

That said, I do understand your comment about it breaking. I feel the same about Craftsman tools vs Snap on. A Craftsman tool may and could break in the middle of a job. A Snap on? most likely not. That Craftsman warrantee sucks in the middle of putting a transmission in.

Cheers

#10 ·
I completely agree. Conversely, I have a riding pal that rides a SC Blur, he is CONSTANTLY replacing pivot bushings. It is a complete circle jerk for him trying to get part from SC. He has had to go to his back up ride more than once because of this exact situation.

The combination of: a shop with quality and knowledgable help and the support from S is why I feel like I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.