mtbr member

Hotrock A1-FS 24"

I have finished the search for my daughters first real MTB. She loves the Hotrock A1-FS (white). Can anyone give me any feedback on the bike after their kids have been riding it for a bit. She will be learning the fine points of trail riding this Summer. It beat out the Scott Scale JR and the Fischer Precaliber 24 on my daughter's LBS showroom test rides. Pics of the bike in action would be great.

SBK
    HMFIC
    I know this bike is supposed to be Specialized's lightest kids bike. Can anyone at a shop or with a scale handy tell me what the A1 FS 24" kids bike weighs? I understand that the regular Hotrock 24" is much heavier - just trying to get a feel for how light (or not!) the A1 frame is for this kids build.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

Air Pirate
    If you have the choice of getting the aluminum frame over the steel one go for the aluminum.

It will come down to the enjoyability factor for the kid. If the bike is too heavy the time spent to learn mountain bike skills will be longer. If it is easier to climb, descend, and throw the bike around in turns the kid will learn a lot quicker and tend to have more fun.

My daughter had one of the steel framed 24" wheel Specialized bikes for a couple of years. When she outgrew it I put her on a Gary Fisher 15 inch aluminum framed bike. All of a sudden her learning accelerated and her enjoyment went up.

SBK
    HMFIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    If you have the choice of getting the aluminum frame over the steel one go for the aluminum.

It will come down to the enjoyability factor for the kid. If the bike is too heavy the time spent to learn mountain bike skills will be longer. If it is easier to climb, descend, and throw the bike around in turns the kid will learn a lot quicker and tend to have more fun.
    No question, I agree completely. This is the reason for my question - I am trying to get an accurate weight for the A1FS version as it's Spec's lightest kids bike. I want to know how light it really is - my comment about the regular Hotrock was to head off the the "well the regular Hotrock 24" is ___lbs, and the A1 is lighter" comments.

Gotta be somebody out there or a shop with one they can throw on a scale, my LBS doesn't have one on hand.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    My son had one of the Hotrock hardtails. It worked well for him. The one thing I'll mention is that I've always been surprised at how large a bike he actually seems to fit into. When I bought him the 24-inch wheelsize Hotrock, I had originally gone to buy him a 20-inch bike. But he tried the 24-inch Hotrock and liked it. Two years later, he moved to 26-inch wheels. And then just the other day he practically demanded my new 29er. And he is only 12!

They grow so fast.

FWIW, I thought my money on the Hotrock was well-spent.