mtbr member
    Jul 2008

hotrock 24 fsr too small for 4'9" daughter?

I want to get my active daughter into mountain biking. she's 9 1/2 we went to the bike shop and she fit on some small 26" full suspension bikes. I want to get her a good bike but its a lot of money for a decent one and im not sure how "into" mountainbiking she is going to get. So I was looking at a specialized hotrock 24 fsr. I want to buy a used one and think the size will help with initial confidence but dont want to wast money if she will be too big for it within a short while. I plan to get tall stem etc. for most upright position available. any ideas on how tall a person would be before they outgrew a 24" hotrock?

Also does anyone know the weight of one of these bikes? I could not find either of these pieces of information on the specialized website.

Weekend Warrior
    Specialized is really bad with posting weight on their site for pretty much anything. You may want to get her out and have her ride a few different setups. I'm at the crossroads with my son going from a 20" which is a bit small to a 24" which is a bit big. I would have her try a 26 with a small or extra small frame rather than a 24" as the quality of a 24 doesn't seem to be on par with a 26" bike. The specialized bikes are fairly light compared to other competitors in the smaller sizes.

This is what I'm getting for my son as soon as he grows into it:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32574

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This spring I bought my 10yr old daughters a XS and a S 26er. They had a problem adjusting at first, but did just fine 2weeks later on the singletrack. They should be able to get several years out of these bikes (08 Myka, 07 Hardrock-womens (I think)). Based on their experience, I vote for the 26er. Take a hard look at the women's specific models. The lever reach made a big difference for my girls.

Alien Surf Team
    My daughter is almost 10 and rides a 26" wheel, 13" frame 2003 Hardrock. Don't know how tall she is but she's average for her age. I weighed it on the bathroom scale and is about 29 lbs. I got it from craigslist for $100. I upgraded the shifters to trigger type. The twist grips just don't work well for tiny hands. She's rides single track, rocky dry stream crossings, steep descents, hills better now that she can actually get the bike into the lowest gear. Even much better at bailing off when crashing.

I wasn't sure about 24" or 26" either but seems the 26" is working out great. The Hardrock has an adjustable stem where you can rotate an offset piece 180 deg and it brings the bars up and back and this helped. An alternate would be a shorter stem and more rise in the bars for a smaller rider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thank you everyone for posting. I'll try to post when I pull the trigger.