Casual Observer
    Aug 2006

Hopey Steering Damper + Era FSR Carbon...

So, we are thinking of getting my wife a new Era FSR Carbon Expert bike, because she can get a great deal on one. I don't really know much about the headset, though, so does anyone know if it will be much trouble to move her Hopey Steering Damper over to the new bike? Would I need to order a different bracket (she is currently on a standard 1-1/8" threadless headset). The bike shop doesn't know anything about Hopey Steering Dampers, and I don't know much about headsets, so we are having a hard time communicating....

mtbr member
    It looks like it should work. Their website is pretty crappy though. Most of the links don't work. The device itself seems pretty gimicky too.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Casual Observer
    Aug 2006
    I'm not gonna debate the merits of the Hopey Steering Damper here -- it is discussed in detail in other forums. Its a neat little device that really helps my tiny wife navigate technical terrain, and she is an experienced XC racer.

The only question I have is about the Specialized headset, and whether I need a special bracket for the steering damper.

mtbr member
    It's not very clear from the Hopey website how the damper looks when installed as a lot of the pictures on the site are broken.

The top of the headset and steerer tube on a Specialized Era Expert Carbon is a standard 1 1/8" size though. So long as it's only attached between the headset and stem then you shouldn't have an issue fitting the steering damper.

The Other Dude
    The only thing i dont know about is that i am pretty sure the Era has drop in headset bearings into the frame, i dont think it has press in cups. I run the Hopey on my demo 8, and i know the mount presses in under the cups, not sure how it would work on that headset. If you get it working post up a pic please.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    The only thing i dont know about is that i am pretty sure the Era has drop in headset bearings into the frame, i dont think it has press in cups. I run the Hopey on my demo 8, and i know the mount presses in under the cups, not sure how it would work on that headset. If you get it working post up a pic please.
    You can tell from the pictures on the Specialized website that the carbon Era frame has the same headset as all the other carbon Specialized mountain bikes that use the 1 1/8" to 1/2" lower tapered steerer. (Stumpjumper, Epic etc) If the damper bracket has to be pressed in underneath the upper headset cup that's not going to fit easily.

The upper race is flush with the carbon frame and the anodised section of headset is little more than a cover on top.

The alloy Era frames have standard pressed in headset cups so it might be worth looking at the Era FSR Expert alloy instead of the Era FSR Expert Carbon.

Pictured below:

Era FSR Expert Carbon
    Era FSR Expert alloy which has a standard headset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hopey Steering Damper + Era FSR Carbon...-era.jpg  

Hopey Steering Damper + Era FSR Carbon...-eraalloy.jpg  

mtbr member
    If the Hopey has to go under the cups, then no it won't work since there are no cups to remove.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Casual Observer
    Aug 2006
    For the record, I got an email from Hopey claiming that their "zero stack" bracket will work, and that the include a replacement bearing cup with the brakcet since not all manufacturers use a shallow cup.

In the meantime, we decided against the Specialized (not because of the steering damper issue) so I may never know the answer for sure.