mtbr member
    Nov 2009

homemade headset tools

so after searchin around the interwebs, I decided instead of paying my lbs to do it, or ordering relatively pricey park tools, I would fashion my own tools to install my headset. I did break down and buy the sette torx cup press though. Heres my headset cup remover:

and I'm making a crown race setter out of pvc.

and quick question: I just got those alligator wind cutters. Do the washers go on the inside (hub) or outside (bolt head) of the rotor? and what should I torque them to? (this is on hope pro2 hubs)
    09 spec rockhopper comp disc - charcoal grey

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Washers go next to the nut head.

I have been putting together some homemade stuff to install a headset as well.

Went to the hardware store and was going to buy some copper tubing like that, they wanted $14 for 12". I said "screw that". Sounds like other have gotten it off using PVC, old pair of Aluminum handbars and if worse comes to worse, tap it out with a flathead screwdriver.

I made a cup press much like this one, but instead of using the copper pieces, I am using the end caps for the PVC pipes turned so the rounded edge faces the headset cups. The Copper pieces again are really expensive and I am pretty dang sure that the PVC is softer than Copper or the Alum cups.

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/09...llation-tools/

this is all about me saving money and not having to hassle with a bike shop, wait, etc....I use to be a mechanic at a shop and there is no way I am paying some 16 year old yahoo $20+ and having to drive and wait to do this, when I will treat it better doing it myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yeah the wait is what annoys me. My LBS is always pretty busy and takes many days to get an install done.

That site you linked is what sparked my curiosity to make my own. And yeah copper isnt cheap. I wanted a 1" pipe but all home depot had was like 10 feet for 25 bucks, so i got 2 feet of 3/4 and flanged it out enough to contact the cup all around. Gonna install my king after xmas morning
    09 spec rockhopper comp disc - charcoal grey

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas, been wondering about how to make some of these tools.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r