mtbr member

high/low speed compression knobs for SX Trail?

Hello, i have the specialized SX Trail and i was tuning my shock, but while tuning it i wanted to check out and play around with the high/low speed compression adjustments. in the manul it says they are near the resivour on the regular 5th element coil over shock, and they don't tell you for the SX Trail. i;d really like to know where they are located. the rebound is easy to find, but i can't find the high/low speed compression adjustments, can anyone tell me where they are?

also another thing, when putting in air pressure do you put the bottom out resistance out all the way out and put in the air you need for your weight and then turn the blue knob back for more bottom out reistance so it is to your liking?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are no hi/lo speed compression adjustments on the remote resi 5th coil that comes with the SX trail--only the "normal" 5th's have that.

Jake posted a while back about the bottom out setting. Start with it all the way out. Put in the amount of air you want. Then, if you feel that you're bottoming out too much/too often, turn the blue knob in some until you get it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    There are no hi/lo speed compression adjustments on the remote resi 5th coil that comes with the SX trail--only the "normal" 5th's have that.

Jake posted a while back about the bottom out setting. Start with it all the way out. Put in the amount of air you want. Then, if you feel that you're bottoming out too much/too often, turn the blue knob in some until you get it right.
    so put the air in for what your weight is, then if it is too plush, tighten down the blue nut? if thats right, my shock should be set right then

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    so put the air in for what your weight is, then if it is too plush, tighten down the blue nut? if thats right, my shock should be set right then
    The amount of air you put in is for the pedal platform (to keep it from bobbing). The blue nut is for bottom out prevention and is only supposed to kick in during the last part of the compression. They are separate and one is not supposed to affect the other (but they do to a degree). If you have to crank in the blue knob a bunch to prevent bottoming you need a stiffer spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    The amount of air you put in is for the pedal platform (to keep it from bobbing). The blue nut is for bottom out prevention and is only supposed to kick in during the last part of the compression. They are separate and one is not supposed to affect the other (but they do to a degree). If you have to crank in the blue knob a bunch to prevent bottoming you need a stiffer spring.
    ok so this is what i did.
    step one: have no bottoming out resistance all the way down so the blue nut is sticking out

step two: put in air for my weightabout 125.

step three i site on it and it felt a little too soft.

step for i tightened down the blue nut and it felt fine.

is this the way you do it or do you adjust the blue nut and then put air in?

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    ok so this is what i did.
    step one: have no bottoming out resistance all the way down so the blue nut is sticking out

step two: put in air for my weightabout 125.

step three i site on it and it felt a little too soft.

step for i tightened down the blue nut and it felt fine.

is this the way you do it or do you adjust the blue nut and then put air in?
    Read all about 5th Coil setup at http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressive/setupcoil.htm .
    On an SX Trail you can ignore points 5 and 6 as the shock does not have beginning/ending stroke compression adjustment (though my shock has a remote reservoir sticker saying it has...no adjustment screws though).
    Yeah baby!

mtbr member
    thanks, also another quick question, the lopro mag pedals that come stock on the bike, are they sealed or ball baerings? they seem as if they are not sealed.