mtbr member
    Feb 2015

hi. new guy with a vintage rockhopper question

hello all. new guy here and looking into the sport. im moving back to my childhood neighborhood and its a great place to have a bike with miles of nice dirt/sand/shell rock trails and asphalt nearby.

i see my style of biking mostly on those trails and asphalt and going for general fitness. no long hauls (maybe in the future) or serious mountain biking. i am overweight. 5'7, 250lbs. ill need a bike to support my weight. would like to get back to 200 lbs and start power lifting again. biking would be my main cardio as i HATE running and its just too hard on my knees from old injuries.

having said that, im looking into a early 90s specialized rockhopper sport. it looks super clean in the pics. havent gone to see it yet. its supposedly a 17" frame from crank to top of seat post which should fit from the research ive done. its nicely regarded choromoly frame which is nice. i like the different handle options. i think it looks nice. has a rigid fork which i would prefer from research ive done.

i expect to need or at least should have a tune pretty soon after i get it. i can turn a wrench with the best of them but bikes are a whole new thing for me so itll go to the LBS for that. lowest they will go on the bike is $150. worth it? will it support me? can someone identify what year it is? thanks for any help guys. any tips for a fat beginner would be great too. havent been on a bike 15 years. hope i dont embarrass myself when i go look at it for a test ride lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hi.  new guy with a vintage rockhopper question-00303_amrgvit4sg_600x450.jpg  

hi.  new guy with a vintage rockhopper question-00w0w_vr9crhrrlo_600x450.jpg  

hi.  new guy with a vintage rockhopper question-00n0n_k9clhqwcjbn_600x450.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    after skimming through the site a bit more i see i should've post in beginners or vintage. i feel like ive got a big of everything in this post though lol. if the mods want to move it, please do so. thanks.

mtbr member
    Welcome, and thanks for the pics. This post could have gone in anyone of several categories, so don't sweat it.

I'm thinking that at 5'7" you are on the cusp of small to medium frames, so the 17" could work nicely, but the fit will depend on a few factors (saddle height, crank length, etc). I wouldn't get overly caught up in cleanliness as a selling factor as anyone can clean up an old bike. In fact, hard to say from the pics, but the chain and cassette look brown/reddish to me, so could be in dire need of a cleaning and lube. (Or replacement if bad enough.)

I think you're more than fine with an alloy frame given your weight, and intended use. For $150 or less with negotiation, it's a great starting point.

If you buy successfully, I'd first take it to your LBS for the full treatment, and take it easy from there. Take your time and enjoy it, and there will be plenty of options for upgrades down the road.

I would use the chain and cassette condition as a bargaining point.

Cheers.

-Rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the reply Rob. Worst case, what would I be looking at to replace the chain and cassette at my LBS? Just something the same as stock. I dont see the need to upgrade anything for now unless its just not comfortable. I need to get used to it and make sure I enjoy it as much as I think I would. best care the cleaning and lube would be part of a basic service or additional?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Did a brief search and it's probably a 93-94 model. Bicyclebluebook.com puts it in a ballpark for that price range, though you could always try to get it cheaper.

1993 Specialized Rockhopper - New and Used Bike Value

The bike looks to be in good shape, but letting your LBS give it a look over wouldn't be a bad idea. Important things would be checking the bearings, measuring chain for stretch, checking for worn gears, checking brake pads, etc... For a new chain/cassette you would likely come in under $50 for parts and labor at most shops. 7/8 speed stuff is fairly inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i was thinking 94 since i think i remember seeing the color scheme listed in an old catalog online but i cant find it again to verifty. good to see some positives about it. he is asking $175. i offered $125 which is really all id want to pay for it. he said $150 min. that was a week ago. advertised price now $165. ill wait till saturday and offer the $125 again.

i really like what i see though and would hate to miss it. only one ive seen for sale locally. the different options on the handle bars are nice if i want to lean a little more or sit up a little more. tires look decent although looks like their covered in tire shine.

$50 is fine to replace that stuff. i was thinking more. good to know. thanks.