mtbr member
    May 2013

Hi Lo rear hub loose, what to do about it

I have a 2013 Rockhopper Comp 29er, put about 500 miles on it since buying it in May 2013. I noticed a couple of days ago that the rear hub has some play in it. It is loose enough to be noticeably clanking when moving the rear of the bike from side to side.
    I was going to take it apart for diagnosis and hopefully, a possible fix. However, after searching here and looking for solutions, it seems that the Specialized Hi Lo hub just isn't worth servicing and has a bad reputation.
    So what am I going to do about it? I can probably get the hub serviced or replaced under warranty by the shop I bought the bike from. That still leaves me with a low quality hub that is likely to give me problems in the future.
    The bike gets used approximately 90% on single track. I have a road bike for commuting and any other street use. So what options do I have with that in mind? Replace just the hub? Get a whole different wheel set?
    I am not opposed to spending money on the bike to make it better and/or more durable. I did a tubeless conversion to it that I am very happy with.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2013 Carve purchased in June here. I've had my entire wheel set replaced once and the rear wheel replaced another time...all under warranty. I may have this wrong, but I believe the original wheels had the hi-lo hubs and the new ones have the Stouts. My LBS offered $130 against the warranty to upgrade.

mtbr member

Hi Lo rear hub loose, what to do about it

I'd be inclined to have the existing rim built into a new rear hub by a decent wheelbuilder. It might be possible to re-use the original spokes too which would save on expense also.

For a new hub I'd get a Hope Pro 2 Evo hub (preferably the newest 40 tooth engagement version). That isn't too expensive, should be reliable and can be converted to different axle types if you get a new frame sometime.

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG241

If the front wheel is ok I'd leave it.

Dirt Junkie
    Have you had the rear wheel off lately? I've found that of you take the rear wheel off, sometimes the non drive side of the wheel bearing cap axle thing can spin and loosen while it's off, it's reverse threaded, and cause the wheel to loosen and clunk. Try tightening it. It holds the freehub in position from the other side. If you want to quiet the freewheel, try putting some LIGHT grease on the pawls.

I've found the Hi Lo rear hub to be reliable. I've had my enduro comp for over a year and 1400 miles hauling by Clyde+ self around with no problems at all other than the loosening thing when I take the rear wheel off. I know some people have had problems, I have not.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Have you had the rear wheel off lately? I've found that of you take the rear wheel off, sometimes the non drive side of the wheel bearing cap axle thing can spin and loosen while it's off, it's reverse threaded, and cause the wheel to loosen and clunk. Try tightening it. It holds the freehub in position from the other side. If you want to quiet the freewheel, try putting some LIGHT grease on the pawls.

I've found the Hi Lo rear hub to be reliable. I've had my enduro comp for over a year and 1400 miles hauling by Clyde+ self around with no problems at all other than the loosening thing when I take the rear wheel off. I know some people have had problems, I have not.

Yes, I have the wheels off very frequently - maybe once a week. Either for cleaning/maintenance or for fitting the bike in a smallish car to go somewhere for a ride.
    I will check this, thank you for the suggestion. I found an article on Park Tools' website that briefly mentioned adjusting hubs for QR type axles and it went into something very similar.

mtbr member
    Same problem with mine. 2013 SJ. LBS rebuilt it no questions asked. It felt much better immediately after the fix.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Tightening up the outer nuts just 1/8 of a turn took care of the problem.