Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

07' FSRXC upgraded

OK so I have completely rebuilt my 2007 FSRXC where the only stock parts on the bike are the frame, rear shock and tires. After today's new Mavic Crosstrails my bike weight is 27.5 pounds but I'm still looking for some lighter tires. Just so you can see my transformation here are some pictures soon after I got my bike and what it looks like today.

Stock 2007 Specialized FSRXC (rim)

After my upgrades

Last edited by cooper58; 04-04-2007 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Your bike looks great with the upgrades. Why don't you give a list of your component upgrades. Speaking of upgrades, what did your new set of rims cost?

mtbr member
    List of upgrades:

Fox Talas RLC
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Thompson Stem and seat post
    Bontrager XXX carbon bars
    LizardSkin grips
    XT rapid fire shifters
    XT crankset
    XT rear derailleur
    XTR chain
    SRAM 990 cassette
    Salsa Bash Guard
    Salsa seatpost clamp
    Chris King headset
    Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset

The Wheels retail for $475.00 but I got a deal with 20% off so I paided $380.00

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    DId you have another frame to build up from the stock parts? Thats the only reason I could think of. WHy would you buy a whole bike, then replace anything? Im sure there is a reason hahah!! I just wanna know. Curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilMick
    DId you have another frame to build up from the stock parts? Thats the only reason I could think of. WHy would you buy a whole bike, then replace anything? Im sure there is a reason hahah!! I just wanna know. Curious.
    Yeah...why not just get a better bike to begin with?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by futureEDpatient
    Yeah...why not just get a better bike to begin with?
    exactly my thoughts

mtbr member
    Well when I first got the bike I thought it was all I would ever need but once that riding addiction hit that was it. And I didn't have that much cash at the time and I needed a bike. It wasn't my plan for it to go this way but I'm happy with the results and other than my bike not saying Stumpjumper or epic on the frame I feel it's just as good.

dog meat ankles
    could have bought a morewood shova ST frame for the same price, built it up, and had one hell of a meaner bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaLegba
    could have bought a morewood shova ST frame for the same price, built it up, and had one hell of a meaner bike.
    The heck is a morewood shova? Do you have a link or pics?

I understand where cooper58 is coming from though...haha. I've had upgraditis for awhile on my rockhopper. Overall looks verrrry nice! But...I gotta ask...how do you keep it SO CLEAN!?!?!

mtbr member
    Dude, whatever makes you happy! I think it looks great, and you can always use the excuse "Well, I liked the paint job better!" But smilmick did have a good point. Buy a frame off ebay or something, and build something up for your wife, girlfriend, or dog. You can even build a back up FSRXC or Stumpy, or hardtail! Very nice pics, too... Isn't riding great? I just hit the trails for 2 1/2 hours today, and heard some guy yelling yahoo on a downhill... Damn I love riding...

mtbr member
    Upgrades and mountain biking seem to go hand in hand. I think I need to join a 12 step program for my Mountain Bike Addiction (MBA). :-)
    Keep on riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58
    Well when I first got the bike I thought it was all I would ever need but once that riding addiction hit that was it. And I didn't have that much cash at the time and I needed a bike. It wasn't my plan for it to go this way but I'm happy with the results and other than my bike not saying Stumpjumper or epic on the frame I feel it's just as good.
    I'm on your side on this one, Coop. For me, being a beginner to this sport last June, I thought my FSRxc Comp was more than I would ever need, and more than I wanted to pay also! However, with more knowledge about the sport and more in tuned with how I like the bike, the total cost of the bike is now dangerously close to the price of a then Stumpy Comp.

And yes, if I could do it all over, I would have spent the money (and much more) on a Stumpy or Epic. But then you've got to consider the education and learning process of upgrading, which is more valuable than the money spent.

mtbr member
    And if you end up selling the old parts on Ebay the expense isn't so bad after all. But I guess a lot of bike people tend to be gear hogs too ha ha.

Upgrading is definitely not the cheapest way to go, the amount I've spent on my bike so far I could have brought a Trance 2 to start with and it would have had better wheels and fork to boot. But I've got my ride to exactly how I want it now and doing it has been part of the fun.

You'll never buy a bike with everything you want on it straight off the shelf!

Ha ha, someone asked how you keep it so clean - well just look at his house guys, the tiles are spotless (looking through a womans eyes here LOL).

Now get out there, and ride like it deserves to be ridden.
    [SIZE="2"]Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now if you upgrade the frame to a stumpjumper....... ;-)

mtbr member
    Could someone tell me the big difference between how my bike is currently setup and a Stumpjumper? I know the SJ has a M5 frame and mines a M4 but what else. Is the M5 maybe a small % lighter? I would really like to know what you guys think and I know I didn't make the smartest choice on how I got to this point with my bike costing way to much for a FSRXC but that's in the past. If I had it to do over and had the cash up front I might have went with an Elsworth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    More travel on a Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    In the rear?

Humpmaster general
    5 inches front and back on the Stumpjumper. The fxc has 4 and 4
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

SXtreem now
    ?????????

mtbr member
    Last years stumpy got a great review in an Aussie bike mag, they were raving on how it was one of the lightest frames etc etc. But the '07 frames have been made heavier!

Main differences to look for would be:
    Material & weight
    Travel
    Gemetry
    [SIZE="2"]Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride![/SIZE]

This is bat country.
    I did the same thing with my stumpjumper over the span of a few years. Nothing wrong with the parts that came on there, I was just on the quest for a lighter and higher performance build. Now that I look back on it, I will never do that again. I'd rather save my money and get what I'd ultimately like to have on there. The lesson I learned is to get what you want the first time, even if it takes a little longer to get. But that's just me! I know when one doesn't have a bike, he will buy now and upgrade later. Sounds good on paper, but not on the pocketbook!

Bike looks sweet though...
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

MTBR IN THE WORKS
    Beautiful bike bro. I have the same one and I'm about to start upgrading everything. If you don't mind, around how much did everything cost you? and did you do everything at once or over time?
    Ride till it Hurts. And when it Hurts, Suck it UP

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Underrated

Nice ride. The FSR XC is one of the most underrated bikes out there in my opinion. It's also one of the best values to be had for a real, trailworthy full suspension bike.

Some friends and I did a MTB trip to Sedona where we rented FSR XC Pros, and I was thrilled with the way that bike performed. I have owned many fullys, including Turner Burner, Santa Cruz Bullet, and Yeti 575.

Don't go talking crap about the FSR XC if you haven't tried one. For the majority of folks out there, 100mm is plenty of travel.
    keep moving

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The FSR XC PRO is a really nice bike with 100mm of travel what it is intended for it to do. I had one and after riding a Stumpjumper Expert I tried to get my FSR XC PRO to perform like the stumpjumper. I could not. The geometry all changed. The ride of the Stumpjumper just feels alot better for the way I ride. I now own a 07 Stumpjumper Expert. Here is a pic of my FSR XC PRO.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I'd buy a FSR XC. It's just the wife would probably go apesh*t. In fact, I know she would, she had a fraggin cow just when I bought my Hardrock Sport last year and it is only what about 1/4 the price of a FSR XC something like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast