Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

hey Clockwork my SX is on the way

i put the order in tuesday, 2008 SX II the orange and black one, ive never even sat on one in my life so i hope i like it

mtbr member
    Posted in another thread but didn't realise it was a different forum:

@d_f - I see you went for the SXTII. It's a bit beyond my budget at the moment, so was thinking of getting the SXT I and upgrading bits over time. I read your concerns about the fork, but as the Fox 36 Van RC2 is only 400 new, I could always sell the Marzocchi and upgrade for around 200 at a later date (although the 36 Talas would be my ideal choice). The brakes would need upgrading too, but that's not too expensive. Is the SXT II really worth the extra 700? Is the paint job any different other than colour on the II? You mentioned in a previous post that the SXT I looked like your Epic and would chip easily. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i sent a long reply to that over there, i was still thinking long and hard about putting in the order and paying the extra cash for the SX but what the hell, i just hope when i get my ass on it i will like it

Now with More Wood
    Enjoy! Let us know how she rides...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i will, ill see if i can get some pics up too, not enough pics of the orange and black paint job

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you'll gonna love it. Also Darkest... I learned that you can upgrade the fork if you have the RV to 180mm not just keep it at 160mm. Let me know how the bike performs. I've been looking at a drop that I wanna do but its like 10-15ft, depending on where you land. Probaly going to hit it next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

dirt visionary
    Yeah I gave both the Spelsh rep and Marzochhi hell because I had called them many times trying to do the same to my 66 RV. Oh well doesn't matter now as I sold it for 250 and have 3 forks that stomp the crap out of the 66rv performance wise.

Darkest- You will love it and yes the extra cash is well worth it . Now you get a way better fork , Way better custom codes, Better rims, Thomson and Holzfeller stuff instead of hussefelt. Many many upgrades that make it way worth it . If I would have had all the cash to drop at once I would have gone the complete II route. As you can only imagine what I have into my sx.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ive been to the reviews section of this forum and theres been a lot of negativity about the fox vanilla thats on the bike, a lot of bottoming out complaints, i should be ok im a light rider and ill be starting small anyway, i have a feeling though im going to progress fast with this bike

mtbr member
    I'm confusing myself even more now - I can get the '07 SX Trail I for the same discounted price as the '08. Usually newer is better, but the '07 has the Marzocchi 66RV instead of the Marzocchi 55TST2 and the frame is black (not too keen on that olive colour). Downside are the X.7 rd, chain and pedals which I can live with. Is the 66 RV a better fork?

mtbr member
    Gotta love the internet.. I think I've answered my own question. For an extra $600 I can get the '07 SX Trail II with the Fox 36 Van R and Fox DHX 5.0.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    ive been to the reviews section of this forum and theres been a lot of negativity about the fox vanilla thats on the bike, a lot of bottoming out complaints, i should be ok im a light rider and ill be starting small anyway, i have a feeling though im going to progress fast with this bike

Thats because those reviews are from the older SXtrails with older vanilla's . 2008 fox forks are dialed and perform way better than the pprevious years forks .

ALSO most of those complaining of bottoming out are all big guys 170lbs +. This year they improved the bottom out because of those types of complaints.

Besides the non lazy person can have the pressure increased in the internal bottom out resistance fixing that issue. But that costs some cash as its not really user serviceable in that aspect.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    arctic you are confusing the hell out of me man, as for the forks, i havent really heard anyone complaining too much about the RV, and the 55 tst2 has some positive words coming in for it, just type in the search engine and youll see

Clockwork thanks for the fork update, im just counting the days till the bike arrives now, i cant wait to start hitting the dirt with it

mtbr member
    Confusion over.. I have a 2008 SX Trail at home right now. Went to the nearest Spesh dealer with the intention of ordering one in and by sheer luck they had one my size in stock. I'd never seen one in the flesh before. Bit of juggling with the kids and car-seats and managed to squeeze it in and take it home! Didn't think I'd like the olive colour but it looks fantastic. I've already changed the pedals to lo-pro mag II's and I've left some money aside for brakes, stem, handlebars, bashguard and tyres if I'm not happy with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ooo, you git!!! mine is still another week away heh, well i figured youd like the green, it doesnt look much on the specialized website but i saw another pic of it around here somewhere and it looks great, let us know how it rides im sure its going to be great

mtbr member
    Wasn't really expecting to have it yet, so it wont get a proper ride until next weekend. Had a quick blast round the block - initial thoughts are:

- it's gonna be good fun
    - the tractor tyres will have to go
    - I have no idea what all the knobs and dials on the rear shock and fork do, let alone whether the air pressure is right!

Better do some reading!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ill probably leave the chunders on, apparently they are one of the best offroad tires there are at the sacrifice of being heavy, i dont care about that though, so how does it feel in the weight department? does it pedal well? how is the riding position? does it look burly, does the rear triangle look like it can take a beating? sorry for all the questions but i have also yet to see one properly in the flesh

mtbr member
    It gets pretty muddy where I ride, so 2.3" chunders are going to make it a hard slog. What can I say - it's pretty heavy! I started out on a heavy Hardrock so thought it would weigh around the same. Either I've forgotten how heavy the Hardrock was, or this seems a fair bit heavier. It pedals well though, took it up a slight hill and it wasn't that much more of an effort than on the stumpy, though bear in mind I'm not used to rear suspension anyway. It looks really burly, wouldn't have any concerns about the bike with anything I'm likely to do on it.

I've no doubt that everything is set-up completely wrong. The shop wasn't much help with that, but I got 10% off so didn't go there for the customer service. If I can't figure things out for myself I'll pop back in once I understand what the different settings do.

I'm 5' 10.5" and went for the medium btw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    oh i know its heavier than a hardrock, thats about 33 pounds maybe a little less, the sx 1 is around 37 where the sx 2 is around 36, the tires weigh a ton though 2 pounds each so youll be able to maybe shave 2 pounds off where it counts straight away, i live in gran canaria so the last thing i have to worry about is mud lol,

im hoping that theres nothing on my bike that ill want to change out, even though im getting a good deal its still an obscene amount of money to pay and thats not including whatever im going to have to shell out for armour etc, youve got me all excited though, im gonna try get some pics when it arrives, can you get any pics up?

mtbr member
    Didn't think 3 or 4 pounds would be that much different. I will change the tyres though so every little helps.

I'll see if I can post one later, seems to be snowing at the moment!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how is the riding position compared to the SJ do you feel more straight up? does the bike feel chopper esque, thats the feeling i got when i tried an enduro sl

mtbr member
    It is more sat-up, but I've always preferred that. I changed my stumpy to a short stem and mid-riser to make it more upright.

This is the best I could get in the dark!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    phoowwar, what a weapon, looks black and white in that pic but i know its a lot greener than that, i know what you mean about the tires, they look like theyll roll over anything but i need a tire like that with loose dirt and rocks here, give us a little review of how it performs when you get her on a serious ride

mtbr member
    Screw the bike....how does that red sports car in the background ride??? That thing looks FAST!

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ha ha, i knew someone was going to chime in about that

mtbr member
    Went down to my LBS last week Wednesday ordered up an 08 SX Trail 1. On Tuesday this week I got the call to come pick it up. Cut out of work early, flew down to the bike shop, set up the sag, paid my balance off. Get home checking everything out and notice a dent on the drive side seat stay. Must have been from shipping, cause the paint was not scratched or chipped, just a perfect square edged dent. All of the excitement for the new bike instantly disappeared. I had to take it back to the bike shop on wednesday. Found out today that the part is on back order and will arrive in 3 weeks from specialized. Good news is that it is rideable and can come back home with me, just got take it back when the part comes in. When I actually ride the thing I'll repost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast