mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Henge Saddle Creaking

Does anyone have a problem with the Henge Expert (saddle on the higher end Enduro & Stumpys) saddle creaking? Itís not at the rails. It seems to be between the plastic and the leather. Itís annoying and loud.

I donít want to return it if there is a simple fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No simple fix. AFAIK the Henge and the Phenom have the same problems...where the rails meet the plastic housing, annoying creak.....Mine actually cracked in half...(Henge SL)!!!!! I returned it and exchanged it for a FORMAT Ti, no more creaking. Don't ask me why

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    With the help of gravity, get some very light lube into the area where both the front and back of the metal rails are inserted into the plastic seat base. Worked for me. May also be a very dry assembly of the mechanism that clamps the seatpost to the seat rails.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i dont know what seat i have on my '11 hardrock but its OEM and its doing it too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    my friends enduro has a henge seat the creaks and its super annoying.
    he is too busy to ride it as of lately, so i have it. i have already bent the seat rails on 2 other seats, this one i am afraid i am gonna actually break something.

i will try the grease idea and see if that helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    With the help of gravity, get some very light lube into the area where both the front and back of the metal rails are inserted into the plastic seat base. Worked for me.
    For me too: I used some teflon spray lube and the "click clock" went away.

mtbr member
    I have believe it or not, 3 henge comp saddles. One of them is very loose and creeks where the two rails attach in the aft section. The other two are solid. Quality control at its best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Besides the noise, how comfortable is the henge saddle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Phenom saddle that came on my 2011 Epic has the creaking problem also. I squirt some tri-flow where the rails meat the nose of the saddle and this fixes it for a while. I don't think it means the saddle is failing, it's just an annoyance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a different fix for this, thought it doesnt always work - instead of lubing the end of rails, i put the strongest permanent locktite i could find, some times it solved the prob, sotimes it didnt... good luck.

mtbr member
    I lubed it. It worked for a while. Then it came back. I always forget about it until I'm at the trailhead. I like the saddle but everyone is different and just because I like it doesn't mean your are going to find it comfortable.

Between the saddle and the every creaking bb, I just do my best to think about something else.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    Besides the noise, how comfortable is the henge saddle?
    For me it was straight pain. Switched to the phenom comp gel saddle which was a huge upgrade. The only down side is, like everyone else the noise on both is very annoying.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Smile

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had it on my phenom, almost immediately after I bought it.
    The shop tech said it shouldnt be doing that and immediately e-mailed off to get a warranty replacement, my new one is silent.
    The tech said when they see that its because the rail and plastic joint is not to a tight enough tolerance, the seat actually moves mroe than it should, hence the squeak. Eventually from movement cycles causing the squeak something will faily, likely the plastic, so I'd see if you can get a warranty swap.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I have 2 avatar experts with issues. One of them was already replaced under warranty and now the new one has the same problem after about 100 miles, so 3 total with creaking/clicking. My ass really likes the seats and I'm close to the dealer so I'll just keep swapping them out...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gozal View Post
    I have a different fix for this, thought it doesnt always work - instead of lubing the end of rails, i put the strongest permanent locktite i could find, some times it solved the prob, sotimes it didnt... good luck.
    Loctite generally doesn't work for filling gaps, so usually it will just crack and fall out (I tried it too)

What you really need is a flexible epoxy, but you have to inject it all the way into the rail socket for it to work. Thats not easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had the Henge that came on my 2011 enduro comp. After 3 weeks of riding the bike the rails were popping inside the plastic mold of the seat. I took the seat back to the bike shop I bought the bike from and they exchanged the seat for any seat I wanted as long as it was under $90.00 (cost of the Henge) I exchanged it for a WTB Pure V Pro plus had extra left over for 2 packages of Shot blocks. Score !!!!!! WTB seat is much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Loctite generally doesn't work for filling gaps, so usually it will just crack and fall out (I tried it too)

What you really need is a flexible epoxy, but you have to inject it all the way into the rail socket for it to work. Thats not easy.
    accually u'r idea is quiet good, the epoxy will bod the metal and plastic and fill in the big gap, i would go with this if my will start to make noises.
    meanwhile i'm still waiting for my evo so... no creaks yet