mtbr member

Henge Comp vs Expert saddle.

My Stumpy fsr elite 2013 comes with a Henge Comp saddle wich honestly on 3 and plus hours ride is killing my butt,we truly are light years away from my first Henge saddle I've had on my 2011 fsr Elite 26,that saddle was a couch. So,enter the Henge Expert saddle,is that just lighter or does it have a better padding ? The expert comes at 112 euro...not cheap.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 03-09-2013 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same shape and padding, just lighter materials in the rails and base.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try the Ergon SM3. I have both and the Ergon beats the Henge in comfort hands down. And you can find a 2012 on Ebay for much less new.

mtbr member
    I still don't get why this 2013 Henge is so different from my 2011 one. I've noticed it immediately.

mtbr member

Henge Comp vs Expert saddle.

I think there are manufacturing differences between batches of the same type of Specialized saddle. Most of the comfort offered by a Specialized saddle comes from flex in the plastic saddle shell, rather than the saddle's padding.

I've had quite a few Specialized saddles (mostly Phenoms and Romins of various types). Even when the saddles are the same model (eg: Specialized Romin Expert) one saddle can be more comfortable from new than another visually identical saddle.

When you flex the saddle body by hand some Specialized saddles have a lot more movement from new than others. The saddles that feel more flexy to begin with are usually more comfortable. As you spend more time riding them the stiffer saddles tend to loosen up and break in a bit though. That can take a while, 50 hours plus riding sometimes.

mtbr member
    Finally got a 2011 NOS Henge Saddle,35 Euro shipped,shot of luck. Completely different padding,a lot more of it
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It appears that the differences are mainly that the Henge Expert uses Titanium Rails whereas the Henge Comp uses CroMoly Rails. The Henge Expert uses EVA Padding and the Henge Comp uses PU Foam.

I'm more concerned with the comfort than the weight. Does anyone know if there are any significant differences in the feel of the Henge Expert versus the Henge Comp?

Scott Novak

mtbr member
    I ditched my stock Henge all together. It was like sitting on a 2x4. May work for some folks though.

mtbr member

Re: Henge Comp vs Expert saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    My Stumpy fsr elite 2013 comes with a Henge Comp saddle wich honestly on 3 and plus hours ride is killing my butt,we truly are light years away from my first Henge saddle I've had on my 2011 fsr Elite 26,that saddle was a couch. So,enter the Henge Expert saddle,is that just lighter or does it have a better padding ? The expert comes at 112 euro...not cheap.
    Same happened to me. Couldn't stay stand it. I asked my shop to swap it for a Phenom and problem solved me for!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Novak View Post
    It appears that the differences are mainly that the Henge Expert uses Titanium Rails whereas the Henge Comp uses CroMoly Rails. The Henge Expert uses EVA Padding and the Henge Comp uses PU Foam.

I'm more concerned with the comfort than the weight. Does anyone know if there are any significant differences in the feel of the Henge Expert versus the Henge Comp?

Scott Novak
    I just got a Henge Expert, and spent a while in the shop looking at both the Henge Comp and the Henge Expert. The packaging didn't mention any difference in the padding. The saddles look identical as far as the covering is concerned, and they both have a "2" on the package as a rating as to how soft/hard they are with a "1" being the least padded (raciest). I was set on just getting the Comp, but when I pressed my thumb into the padding, I could tell that the Expert padding felt better/softer, almost like a gel type padding. I went ahead a got the Expert because I know if I was out on the trail and hurting a bit, I would likely be happy to peel out the extra cash for the better feeling padding.

It was not a huge difference, but it was noticeable. The lighter weight from having titanium rails is a bonus provided they hold up.

I also didn't feel too bad investing the extra cheddar into the Expert because every Specialized BG saddle I've had held up exceedingly well compared to some other brands I've owned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been riding a Henge Comp since the end of December. It has been uncomfortable since the day I started using it and doesn't seem to be getting any better. As timmaayyy said, it's like riding on a 2x4. I hear the claims that it may take a couple of weeks of hard riding for the seat to become comfortable. Seat break-in or deadening the nerves in your butt so you can't feel how uncomfortable it is anymore? In my case neither seems to be happening. I'm looking for another saddle.

Scott Novak