mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Help, Upgrade compoents or new bike??"

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if I could get some help, suggestions. I have a '01 stumpjumper fsr comp which seems like a pretty nice ride with the exception of the bobbing of the rear suspension and the brakes. When I set it to be plush, when I pedal hard or out of the saddle, up and down I go.. When I set it to not bob, it's a pretty stiff ride. The brakes are Avid 5's, both calipers and levers. On the brakes I can't seem to get consistent braking. So I've been looking at both a shock upgrade and disc brakes, which means new wheels as well. The bike is around 25 pounds now, maybe a little less. Should I upgrade or just get a new bike??? Drivetrain is great, XT, XTR and no complains (have upgraded a couple pieces over the years).
    If the suggestion is to upgrade, which shock would people suggest, or have used? There seems to be 3 major manufacturer upgrades (Manitou SPV, Fox SP3, Cane Creek could nine). Any suggestions?

On disk brakes, same question, any suggestions???

Thank you much,
    Theresa

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Theresamarie11
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if I could get some help, suggestions. I have a '01 stumpjumper fsr comp which seems like a pretty nice ride with the exception of the bobbing of the rear suspension and the brakes. When I set it to be plush, when I pedal hard or out of the saddle, up and down I go.. When I set it to not bob, it's a pretty stiff ride. The brakes are Avid 5's, both calipers and levers. On the brakes I can't seem to get consistent braking. So I've been looking at both a shock upgrade and disc brakes, which means new wheels as well. The bike is around 25 pounds now, maybe a little less. Should I upgrade or just get a new bike??? Drivetrain is great, XT, XTR and no complains (have upgraded a couple pieces over the years).
    If the suggestion is to upgrade, which shock would people suggest, or have used? There seems to be 3 major manufacturer upgrades (Manitou SPV, Fox SP3, Cane Creek could nine). Any suggestions?

On disk brakes, same question, any suggestions???

Thank you much,
    Theresa
    You could upgrade the shock but you're still going to get some bob when you hammer the pedals. The suspension design of the FSR doesn't use chain tension or anything to isolate the rear suspension so it is active all the time, seated, standing, braking etc. It is just not designed to be hammered out of the saddle. A Fox RP3 wold probably help with the seated bob though. As for brakes, it depends on what you are willing to spend and how the bike is currently set up. Here's your list an you can decide, I'm going with mechanical disc brakes here becuase they are cheaper, and I'm assuming that you're wheels are not disc compatable. If you have disc compatable wheels then just deduct those.

Shock $300
    Brake set $140 (front and rear)
    Wheels $250

Total $650

These figures are approximate of course, you could go more or less depending on what you decide. If you feel your bike is worth a $650 minimum upgrade then go for it. If not then put that towards a new bike. Just one word of caution, if you do decide to upgrade to disc brake and need to replace the wheels/hubs, don't scrimp on them. A good stong set of wheels is a necessity when moving to discs.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have used Avid 5's and use the Avid Ti's which is very similar. Haven't had any issues with braking unless conditions get quite muddy (but that's true with all V-brakes). If you have stock brake pads on there, I highly suggest trying out KoolStop brake pads. They give your brakes much more stopping power and a cheap upgrade, so it might be worth a shot before you take a plunge on disc brakes:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_Pa...ct_20455.shtml
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/111...ds---Black.htm

Squash's cost estimate on the upgrades seem very reasonable, but its a nice chunk of change for upgrades. If you have other parts on your bike that are getting old or might go kaput, take that into consideration to determine whether upgrading or buying a new bike is more cost effective.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    The brakes are Avid 5's, both calipers and levers. On the brakes I can't seem to get consistent braking.
    Try replacing the brake cables and throwing on some new brake pads. It's relatively cheap and could solve your braking problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    You could upgrade the shock but you're still going to get some bob when you hammer the pedals. The suspension design of the FSR doesn't use chain tension or anything to isolate the rear suspension so it is active all the time, seated, standing, braking etc. It is just not designed to be hammered out of the saddle. A Fox RP3 wold probably help with the seated bob though. As for brakes, it depends on what you are willing to spend and how the bike is currently set up. Here's your list an you can decide, I'm going with mechanical disc brakes here becuase they are cheaper, and I'm assuming that you're wheels are not disc compatable. If you have disc compatable wheels then just deduct those.

Shock $300
    Brake set $140 (front and rear)
    Wheels $250

Total $650

These figures are approximate of course, you could go more or less depending on what you decide. If you feel your bike is worth a $650 minimum upgrade then go for it. If not then put that towards a new bike. Just one word of caution, if you do decide to upgrade to disc brake and need to replace the wheels/hubs, don't scrimp on them. A good stong set of wheels is a necessity when moving to discs.

Good Dirt

Squash, thanks for your reply.. A good estimate and what I've been looking at. I do think the bike is worth more than $650 to me.. as a new one, similarly equipped is more than $2K. I was wondering whether this old suspension design (even with new shock) would be as good as the newer designs (new FSR, Trance, Blur)? If this suspension is still current, then replacing the shock seems like a really good deal. The front shock, Mars elite, works well.
    On the brakes, thanks. I have upgraded the pads recently and found myself over the handlebars a couple of times so it's not stopping power, it's more modulation and feel. Going downhill the brakes seem to stick a little to quick for me and then I get air.. the wrong way. Probably a skill thing.. I tend to do more road than dirt.

Theresamarie

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SplijinX
    I have used Avid 5's and use the Avid Ti's which is very similar. Haven't had any issues with braking unless conditions get quite muddy (but that's true with all V-brakes). If you have stock brake pads on there, I highly suggest trying out KoolStop brake pads. They give your brakes much more stopping power and a cheap upgrade, so it might be worth a shot before you take a plunge on disc brakes:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_Pa...ct_20455.shtml
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/111...ds---Black.htm

Squash's cost estimate on the upgrades seem very reasonable, but its a nice chunk of change for upgrades. If you have other parts on your bike that are getting old or might go kaput, take that into consideration to determine whether upgrading or buying a new bike is more cost effective.
    Hi SpliinjX,
    Thanks for your reply. I recently replaced my pads with new rim wranger2 inserts recommended by my LBS. They didn't have kool stops, although when I removed the old ones, they were kool stops (must be what avid OEMed originally). It's not a power issue, it's more a 'feel' issue for me. I'd like a little more feel in the brake system which is what I understand discs give.

Theresamarie11

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    Try replacing the brake cables and throwing on some new brake pads. It's relatively cheap and could solve your braking problems.
    Hi, thanks for the reply... I just replaced the pads with rim wrangler2s at the recommendation of my LBS but the power isn't an issue, it's more the feel of the brakes.

Theresamarie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Squash, thanks for your reply.. A good estimate and what I've been looking at. I do think the bike is worth more than $650 to me.. as a new one, similarly equipped is more than $2K. I was wondering whether this old suspension design (even with new shock) would be as good as the newer designs (new FSR, Trance, Blur)? If this suspension is still current, then replacing the shock seems like a really good deal. The front shock, Mars elite, works well.
    On the brakes, thanks. I have upgraded the pads recently and found myself over the handlebars a couple of times so it's not stopping power, it's more modulation and feel. Going downhill the brakes seem to stick a little to quick for me and then I get air.. the wrong way. Probably a skill thing.. I tend to do more road than dirt.

Theresamarie
    I was with you until that last paragraph...

-> If you tend to do more road than dirt, are you sure that upgrading you current ride is the best investment instead of getting something else, like a hardtail maybe?

-> If you have issues about getting airbone with v-brakes, you may be racking up the airmiles even quicker if you upgrade to disc brakes! Those Avid SD5 levers do come with a "modulation adjuster" (Leverage Adjustment) on them (my 2001 Devinci had it), it's the red knob in front of the lever housing. Play with that to see if it helps any; otherwise, lay off the front brake a bit!
    Last edited by Wild74; 08-12-2005 at 08:30 AM.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    it's more the feel of the brakes.
    Which is why I also suggested replacing the cables (and housing). That can make them feel a whole lot better.