mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Help swapping parts to a Stumpjumper Evo

Hi everyone, I need some help please. I've been riding an Ibis Mojo very happily for around 4 years now, keeping it well maintained and swapping parts as needed. Iíve been considering getting a new bike or a new frame, always thinking that I should try something different with a more progressive geometry but wanting to stay with carbon. A complete bike itís been out of the question because prices are too steep for carbon versions (5-6k), so since the Stumpy EVO came out if caught my eye and last week out of nowhere I got a very good deal in a used but in great condition Evo Carbon 2013 frame.
    SoÖ now the idea is to swap all parts from my Ibis to the new frame, Iím really not looking to spend more than needed since my parts are all in very good shape and my fork is serviced every time is needed. BUT there are some parts that are not compatible with the new frame; so far I believe I need:

1. An adapter for my rear Ibis hub to be able to convert the wheel to 142 (easily gettable from Ibisí website)
    2. New shifter cabling since the Ibis doesnít use complete housing and the Stumpy does (no problems here either)
    3. A special headset and hereís the first part that I need help with. My current fork is 1 1/8 which was standard back then; I believe I need a particular headset and/or some adapter to be able to fit it in the new tapered frame. What should I get?
    4. Another issue here, my current drive train is 3x9; I think everything will work except my frond derailleur. The one from the Ibis is clamp and I believe I need some sort of Direct Mount; can you help me with this so I know which one to get? My shifters are X9 I was thinking maybe a Shimano XT, they are better for front ones.

I think thatís all I need to get my Stumpy EVO on the trails, if you can think of anything else I might needÖ I really appreciate all help.
    Cheers!.

mtbr member
    Got a '13 stumpy fsr evo. The fd is a direct mount for 2x10 drivetrain. I have no experience with the head set adapters. Just know they are available. Not sure what your bottom bracket is spec'd with, but mine is a press fit bearing. Again they have adapters to convert if needed. My opinion is that its a great bike, but that's with the stiffer headset, bottom bracket, 142 rear hub, and possibly bigger front axle. I'd hunt the interweb or LBS for a tapered front fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you Bigb2000! Yes I plan on gradually getting parts starting with a new better fork, but for now I just want to get the bike on the trails with the parts I have only buying the indispensable. From what I've been reading on the web I probably will have to dismiss the big crank ring and make it a 2x9, I haven't been able to find a direct mount front derrailleur for 3x9.
    And now from what you're saying I may need a new bb as well, I'll look into that.

mtbr member
    You won't miss the 3x9. The 2x is perfect for about everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you again, I'll definitly fo with 2x9!