Race Face XC Cranks
    Crossmax wheels
    Avid Levers
    XT/LX Deraileurs
    LX Shifters
    Avitor Seat
    King Headset

Spent about ~1500

Previously I was ridding a medium 98 Stumpjumer. So far I love the Epic, it's absolutely great on the trail. Handles great, love the rear shock.

The problem is I feel like I am sitting to far back, like there is too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front. On the stumpjumper it feels like a lot of the weight is on the front, with 50% weight distribution. Feels very aggresive and fast, but not too comfy.

Right now I have a short stem 80mm with a specialized riser bar. When the shock is on 120mm travel, the bike seems to high, and I'm too far back. It feel better in 100mm mode, but the spring rate is too stiff.

It did great on the trails, but I'm not sure how it' s suppose to be setup. More weight on the front? Should I get a non rise bar, or maybe a different shock? Is large too big for me? I'm 5'11" 1/2, 180 lbs.

Thanks
    Indyxc

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Not more than 100mm...

IndyXC, the Epic is designed for a fork of 100mm as maximum, I suppose that is why it feels so tall when you use the balck on 120mm mode, I have a 105mm Marathon on mine, an it feels already a little tall (I like it that way though), try to keep the black at around 100 and maybe change springs if it feels too stiff at that travel setting.

Good luck,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-14-2005 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    IndyXC, the Epic is designed for a fork of 100mm as maximum, I suppose that is why it feels so tall when you use the balck on 120mm mode,
    I was actually planning to get a F100X for new Epic when it arrives but Fox has recently released the TALAS X and the Float X which has a 'trail tunned' version of Terralogic valve. Anyone think its a good idea to get either one and modify it to 100mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think I'm going to sell the black and get a 100mm fox shox when I have the money.

In general do you want more weight on the front? Meaning does a bike handle better with weight on the front, and the person over the bars?

Indyxc

mtbr member
    I've found that because of geometry, my Epic with the 100mm Fox fork puts a whole lot of my weight over the rear wheel and very little over the front. When I set the suspension correctly for sag, the rear shock is 5-10 psi over the recommended pressure, and the fork is probably 20 psi below or even less than the recommended pressure. Remember that the pressure list from Fox or Specialized is just a starting point...everyone is different and distributes weight differently on the bike, so sag is what matters.

Whether or not you try to shift more of your weight onto the front is kind of a situational question...sometimes you do, sometimes you slide back in the saddle. But in general because the rear wheel is so far forward you're going to find that there's not as much weight on the fork as there would be on other bikes.

The bike wanders a bit uphill with 100mm of travel...I can't imagine 120mm on a steep climb. Set the air pressure for sag in the 100mm travel setting so its not so stiff, and forget about it. After two years, most of the thrashing I've received from my Epic had to do with overpressurizing the fork according to the guidelines rather than anything to do wit h the Brain on the other end. The Black is probably "good enough," but the 120mm setting is a little high for the Epic. Besides, if you really, really need to jack it up to 120mm on some kind of ugly downhill, you'll want it really soft anyway...

Oh yeah, and don't get discouraged if it feels harsher than you'd like for the first few rides. Most of the people who complain about the Epic rode their buddy's or never messed with setting the suspension properly...or it was a brand new bike and the Brain hadn't broken in yet. If you tinker with the air pressure and the damping you can get these things to where they're plush enough and still accelerate and climb hard...nice bike, you're going to love it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyxc
    Well, I finished building my "dream bike on a budget"

03 Epic Comp Dream Silver Large
    05 Brain Shock
    How much was the shock and where did you pick it up from ?

I've an 03 Epic and was considering upgrading the Brain.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Milliondollarhero- The shock came with the frame. The original owner upgrade it. I bought the frame/shock/ race face xc cranks + bb for 800. Everything had less than 100 miles on it. I think the 04/05 Brain shock is a good upgrade. I've seen a few 04/05 brains on ebay will browsing for a fox fork.

From what I've seen, and I maybe wrong, but the 03 has no adjustment for the amount of force required for the shock to react? It's a nice feature I change all the time depending on the conditions.

I really like the epic so far. When I ride it I feel like I never need to get off the saddle. The rear absorbs everything, and it climbs much better than my stumpjumper. Normally with a anything that has a lot of hype, I'm generally disappointed. With the epic, I must say, it rode beyond my expectations. The only issue I have right now is the feeling of too much weight on the rear, but I think a 80-100mm travel fork will fix that. Like I said with the black in 100mm mode, the handle bars are probably 1.5 inches lower, which makes the bike feel more aggresive. But the adjustment setting basically just preloads the spring, so the shock is too stiff for my liking.

Most people generally run a 80-100mm fork? I see the epic either comes/came with an 80mm fork and a riser bar, or 100mm and a flat bar. I think I need a good 100mm fork with a flat bar. Right now, as I said I'm at 120mm with a riser bar, which is probably why it feels so back oriented.

Thanks
    Indyxc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think your 80mm stem is part of the problem. I have a med frame and use a 105mm stem. A short stem will weight the rear and make your front end wander uphill and push through corners.

Also when I changed from 80 to 100mm fork, I had to flip my stem upsidedown to get negative rise to get the bars lower to get more weight over the front wheel. 120mm I would imagine would really make things handle funny.

I prefer a lowrise bar over a flat one. Perhaps if you limit the rise to 3/4" it will be okay. Good luck with your refinements!