mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Help with purchase?

Hey everyone. Brand new here. Brand new to biking as well. I need to bike to work but i wanted to get a bike i can take on the trails too. I found this one on CL in my area. Just wondering if you all might be able to 1) help me identify it and 2) help me decide if its worth the money. Im going to see it on Saturday and am awaiting more pictures and a serial number. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Brian
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2205374691.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm not able to do much to identify it, other than to say it appears to be more than "a few years old." I'm not gonna say that's bad.

When you go see it, here's a few things to check:
    1. Fit matters more than anything. Is it comfortable? Specifically, proper fit includes leg extension. When the pedal is at it's lowest position in the arc your leg should be slightly bent. You should feel decent distribution of your weight between your hands and butt.

2. Bike condition:
      1. Tires ok or do they look rotted? Are they flat? New tires/tubes would cost you about $50 minimum.
      2. Seat fit you okay? Everyone is different but this is an easy comfort upgrade.
      3. Chain/gears okay? Do you see excessive "metal on metal" wear (indicating it wasn't lubed)? Is there rust on the drivetrain anywhere?
      4. There should not be "play" or looseness in anything. Apply the brakes and gently rock the bike forward/backward and see if the handlebar/fork feels loose in the frame. Grab the cranks right by where the pedals thread in and rock them side to side - there should be no play. Grab the top of the wheels and rock them side to side - there should be no play.
      5. What is the condition of the brake pads? They come with grooves and if you can't see
      them, the pads may need replacement ($20+?).

There's a few ideas. A bike like that may cost you $100 up front and then some extra for replacement parts, so plan accordingly. You'd also need to see if it shifts smoothly when you ride it. A tune up at your local bike shop will cost you some extra as well. At some point you will spend nearly as much tuning up a used bike as a new one would cost you. On the other hand, if the owner has taken good care of this one, it could last you years for very little money.

Definitely worth checking out. And if you get it - enjoy!

Oh yeah - and be sure to budget for a helmet! How much is your head worth?
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS