mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Help picking the right 29er!

I’m hoping to get a little advice from the more experienced riders here.

Here is a little background first. I used to ride a lot and was an intermediate recreational rider at best. It’s been around 8 years since I’ve been on a bike due to a double hernia in my lower back which led to surgery. I pretty much stopped all physical activities post-surgery and found myself at an extremely unhealthy 6’6” 315 pounds! Finally got fed up with living like that about 7 months ago and started to exercise/diet. I’m currently at 245 pounds and still dropping. I love to run my knees are not happy with me and I want to start adding some riding back in.

So with that said I’m obviously not planning on any hardcore riding. I’m in Northern CA and plan to find some good beginner to intermediate fire roads & single track for simple fun/cardio. My original plan was to just get the new Specialized Camber Elite 29er in XXL. I’ve done short rides on both the XL and XXL. Both sizes would work in the end but for some reason the XXL just felt better (35.5” inseam). So I was pretty much ready to make up my mind until they had me try out a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. It was only an XL but it felt really good as well. They were pushing the fact that the Stumpjumper has better components and 130mm of travel vs. the 100mm on the Camber. The price difference is only $500 or so and I’d have no problem with spending a few extra bucks. I just want to end up with a bike that will be a good fit for my needs.

Does the upgrade from the Camber Elite 29er to the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er seem like a smart move all things considered? Looking over the specs the only thing that might concern me is the fact that the Stumpjumper has a 2x10 vs the standard 3x9 on the Camber. I’m not that familiar with the 2x10 and my concern is it won’t have the low end gearing that I’d need to get my fat ass up those hills!

Any advice you guys might have would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Breezin86; 11-04-2010 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Stumpy if the price isn't out of line with your budget. You'll actually have a lower gear on it with a 22 (smallest chain ring) X 36 (biggest cassette cog) vs. the 22x34 on the Camber Elite. You'll also get better components on the Stumpy (Sram X.7/X.9 vs. Shimano SLX).

On the other hand, it sounds like 100mm of travel would be plenty for the type of riding you'll be doing. The Camber would be plenty of bike.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok thanks for the info on the 2x10... that was my biggest concern. So I assume that the top and bottom end gearing is similar to what you'd find with a 3x9, you will just have fewer options between (less shifting).

Still on the fence here... I'd probably be fine with the Camber. But for $500 more I'd be able to buy into a bike that might give me some more options down the road. Guess that is the real decision.

mtbr member
    Actually, you won't have as much on the top end as the Camber has a 44 tooth big ring and an 11 tooth small cog. Honestly though, that's quite a large gear. Probably more than you (or I) would need for anything other than a paved descent. The biggest combo on the Stumpy is a 33X11 which is plenty for off-road and gives you more clearance for getting over logs and rocks.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the additional info! Ya I'm not nearly as concerned about the top end gearing. I just wanted to make sure I'd be able to get up those hills!

mtbr dismember

World of Wheels

Have Steve, the owner of World of Wheels, fit you to the right bike before you buy. The first one I bought was too small for me and he recognized it before I made the same mistake twice. Just bought a SJ 29er Expert there a few weeks ago and he sized me perfectly again. I'm a bit under 6'2" and the XL fits perfectly. The 2x10 is great, since I have to be flying downhill to use the big ring on a 3x9. But I don't care what the numbers say, I swear I've lost a bit on the low gear.

Take the bike out to New Melones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Have Steve, the owner of World of Wheels, fit you to the right bike before you buy. The first one I bought was too small for me and he recognized it before I made the same mistake twice. Just bought a SJ 29er Expert there a few weeks ago and he sized me perfectly again. I'm a bit under 6'2" and the XL fits perfectly. The 2x10 is great, since I have to be flying downhill to use the big ring on a 3x9. But I don't care what the numbers say, I swear I've lost a bit on the low gear.

Take the bike out to New Melones.
    Great info! Your website is going to be a wonderful resource as I head out to find some nice rides in our area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=Breezin86]Looking over the specs the only thing that might concern me is the fact that the Stumpjumper has a 2x10 vs the standard 3x9 on the Camber.QUOTE]

Looking on the Specialized website for the SJ Comp 29 in the tech spec tab it is a 3x10, not a 2x10.

If that make a difference.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9247

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yabodie
    Looking on the Specialized website for the SJ Comp 29 in the tech spec tab it is a 3x10, not a 2x10.

If that make a difference.
    You are correct on the 3x10 for the hardtail... I edited my post to be more clear. I'm looking at the FSR SJ which has the 2x10.

Thanks for pointing that out though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86
    You are correct on the 3x10 for the hardtail... I edited my post to be more clear. I'm looking at the FSR SJ which has the 2x10.

Thanks for pointing that out though!
    You had me worried there for a bit. I had ordered the HT and wanted the 3x10, so I had to check.

mtbr member
    FYI The Stupy comp has the 3x10 but the carbon comp and expert have the 2x 10. I am ordering one tomarrow. Have a blast whatever you order. I know I will.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Got an XXL... love it!