Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    Help - Newbie with too much money

    Shopping for my first mtb. Transitioning hobbies from motocross to mountain bikes (10 month old triplets mean I need to find a hobby closer to home).

    I was all fired up for a stumpy pro, and then got distracted with competitivecyclist.com and the Turner forum about the Flux, and now I'm confused!

    Thanks guys. This board is great, and I appreciate everyone's helpful insights.

  2. #2
    jmf
    jmf is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    41
    Forget the 06 Flux, Turner dropped the horst link.
    Though I've never ridden one, I'll bet an '05 Flux would be a nice ride.
    I think the flux has 4 inches of travel, the stumpy has 5 inches.
    Stumpy geometry is also slightly more relaxed.
    Take your pick based on your style of riding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    mx style? if you want cross country or trail i'd go stumpy, if you wan tfreeride then go enduro, if you want a light freeride and 4x get an enduro SX. i dream of the SX

  4. #4
    I'ts rideable
    Reputation: D Wang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13

    Smile New sx trail

    I just finished building up my sx trail last night. My first real ride was today. If you have the MX background as I do you can't go wrong with this bike. Nothing but good to say and it climbs suprisingly well. Check out the picks on the turner board under D-Wang Upgrade. I can do it all on this bike!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    Unless I'm mistaken the Turner is a bit more money then the Stumpy, also the Flux is a 4inch bike, the Stumpy is more or less 5inch. I know for a fact the Turner 5 Spot is quite a bit more money than a comparable spec Stumpy. You could consider the cheaper Stumpy Expert as teh differences are minor; slow speed damping adjustment on the Fox TALAS fork, and changes to the brakes and cranks to shave a few ounces, all and all not a significant difference to most riders. The Stumpy IS a great bike and while I can't compare it to a 5 Spot (never riden one) I can say I'm very happy with my 05 Stumpy Expert.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripp
    Unless I'm mistaken the Turner is a bit more money then the Stumpy, also the Flux is a 4inch bike, the Stumpy is more or less 5inch. I know for a fact the Turner 5 Spot is quite a bit more money than a comparable spec Stumpy. You could consider the cheaper Stumpy Expert as teh differences are minor; slow speed damping adjustment on the Fox TALAS fork, and changes to the brakes and cranks to shave a few ounces, all and all not a significant difference to most riders. The Stumpy IS a great bike and while I can't compare it to a 5 Spot (never riden one) I can say I'm very happy with my 05 Stumpy Expert.
    Thanks - I bought an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday from my LBS. Very excited. Thanks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    77
    I just tried out an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday at my LBS....it was amazing. Cool thing was it was Kawasaki Green...guess its an LBS only thing?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by torment
    I just tried out an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday at my LBS....it was amazing. Cool thing was it was Kawasaki Green...guess its an LBS only thing?
    It was a test bike. It should have said "test bike" on it somewhere unless the LBS took the stickers off. The enduro test bike comes in a burnt orange color (pretty wicked).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by twoyouts
    Thanks - I bought an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday from my LBS. Very excited. Thanks!
    I suspect you will love it!

  10. #10
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    if i was liquidating a motocross hobby, and had "too much money" turner would be the only thing i'd be considering.

    specialized makes an awesome product for the money though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •