mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Help - Newbie with too much money

Shopping for my first mtb. Transitioning hobbies from motocross to mountain bikes (10 month old triplets mean I need to find a hobby closer to home).

I was all fired up for a stumpy pro, and then got distracted with competitivecyclist.com and the Turner forum about the Flux, and now I'm confused!

Thanks guys. This board is great, and I appreciate everyone's helpful insights.

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Forget the 06 Flux, Turner dropped the horst link.
    Though I've never ridden one, I'll bet an '05 Flux would be a nice ride.
    I think the flux has 4 inches of travel, the stumpy has 5 inches.
    Stumpy geometry is also slightly more relaxed.
    Take your pick based on your style of riding.

mtbr member
    mx style? if you want cross country or trail i'd go stumpy, if you wan tfreeride then go enduro, if you want a light freeride and 4x get an enduro SX. i dream of the SX

I'ts rideable

Smile New sx trail

I just finished building up my sx trail last night. My first real ride was today. If you have the MX background as I do you can't go wrong with this bike. Nothing but good to say and it climbs suprisingly well. Check out the picks on the turner board under D-Wang Upgrade. I can do it all on this bike!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unless I'm mistaken the Turner is a bit more money then the Stumpy, also the Flux is a 4inch bike, the Stumpy is more or less 5inch. I know for a fact the Turner 5 Spot is quite a bit more money than a comparable spec Stumpy. You could consider the cheaper Stumpy Expert as teh differences are minor; slow speed damping adjustment on the Fox TALAS fork, and changes to the brakes and cranks to shave a few ounces, all and all not a significant difference to most riders. The Stumpy IS a great bike and while I can't compare it to a 5 Spot (never riden one) I can say I'm very happy with my 05 Stumpy Expert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripp
    Unless I'm mistaken the Turner is a bit more money then the Stumpy, also the Flux is a 4inch bike, the Stumpy is more or less 5inch. I know for a fact the Turner 5 Spot is quite a bit more money than a comparable spec Stumpy. You could consider the cheaper Stumpy Expert as teh differences are minor; slow speed damping adjustment on the Fox TALAS fork, and changes to the brakes and cranks to shave a few ounces, all and all not a significant difference to most riders. The Stumpy IS a great bike and while I can't compare it to a 5 Spot (never riden one) I can say I'm very happy with my 05 Stumpy Expert.
    Thanks - I bought an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday from my LBS. Very excited. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just tried out an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday at my LBS....it was amazing. Cool thing was it was Kawasaki Green...guess its an LBS only thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torment
    I just tried out an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday at my LBS....it was amazing. Cool thing was it was Kawasaki Green...guess its an LBS only thing?
    It was a test bike. It should have said "test bike" on it somewhere unless the LBS took the stickers off. The enduro test bike comes in a burnt orange color (pretty wicked).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by twoyouts
    Thanks - I bought an '06 Stumpy Expert yesterday from my LBS. Very excited. Thanks!
    I suspect you will love it!

Gravity Rides Everything
    if i was liquidating a motocross hobby, and had "too much money" turner would be the only thing i'd be considering.

specialized makes an awesome product for the money though.

Members who have read this thread: 0