mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help! Need to find a cable guide for an old-school '99 FSR Max Backbone frame...

I'm building up an old-school '99 FSR DH Max Backbone frame that I recently acquired thanks to a fellow member here on MTBR and i've run into a bit of a snag. The frame didn't come with the rearmost cable guide for the front derailleur. It sits right under the rear suspension linkage and redirects the front D cable downward to the derailleur.
    Here's a pic of the piece i'm talking about:

I tried to see if a modified V-brake noodle would work, but they don't have that extra little lip to prevent the noodle from just pulling through the frame-mounted part of the cable guide. I've also searched most of the online vendors' websites, but no one seems to have anything similar. I'm assuming that that piece may be frame specific?
    So, anyone out there by chance have one of these laying around taking up space in their toolbox from an old bike, or know where I might be able to find one? Thanks in advance...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

Mines 29
    If you cant find one try running full housing up the the FD or glue the noodle in place
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Never say never, but odds are pretty slim that you're going to find one of these.

Problem Solvers makes something that you can clamp on the seat tube for a cable stop called the Backstop. That way you could run solid housing past that bend.

I think you would use the 34.9 clamp for this. The QBP (distributor) part number is BR5456. Go to your LBS with that and you should be able to get one.

Disclosure: I work in a bike shop