mtbr member

HELP! is my 09epic rear shock going??

yesterday and last week after my race, i am noticing more oil passing by the rear shock seal.i have 1 race to go and i am leading the series points. do i get another shock? if it fails, does it act like a hard tail or just collapse.

Riding in North VA
    Man, I feel for you. I was very close to buying an Epic and after reading all the different postings on the rear shock failing or the Brain acting-up, I decided not to. I'm going to focus more on a Stumpjumper w/o the Brain (just because the SJ w/ Brain is too expensive).

Wonder why this happens so often with Epics if this seems to be the same shock other models bring? Did these things happen when the bikes came with Fox rear shocks?
    MTBing in Colombia with my 2011 FSR Stumpjumper Elite

mtbr member
    i think fox seals are better.by design or by rubber compound im assuming.maybe they have a patent on them or something.
    none the less, this bike is worth its trouble.i never won in sport class.always a mid to upper packer.yesterday,i won my 2nd sport class this season....by over 4minutes from second and 10 minutes from the rest of the field! and just found out i cannot race sport in the fall,have to move up to expert.bummer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    i think fox seals are better.by design or by rubber compound im assuming.maybe they have a patent on them or something.
    none the less, this bike is worth its trouble.i never won in sport class.always a mid to upper packer.yesterday,i won my 2nd sport class this season....by over 4minutes from second and 10 minutes from the rest of the field! and just found out i cannot race sport in the fall,have to move up to expert.bummer.
    Congrats on your winnings! I have had the exact same "problem" w/ my epic: since getting the bike I am suddenly winning (by minutes!) and will have to move up to the next category.

As for your oil issue, some oil on the piston of the shock is normal. if there is oil anywhere else, this would require a trip to your lbs right away. Spech is really good about having it replaced w/ in a couple of days if it needs it. The "bad" oil leak is usually found where the hose connects to the shock. Also, have you lbs file the top hose clamp on your chain stays, as this will prevent that hose from braking (there is extensive discussion of this on the epic threads here).
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    If you're concerned about the rear shock it's probably safest to get it serviced. Specialized offer a swap service where they will send a shock out to the shop, the shop fits it in place of your old shock and then sends the old shock back to Specialized meaning that you don't spend any time without a bike.

If the hose fails then apparently you lose all compression and rebound damping on the rear shock: making the bike very bouncy but holding air pressure in the shock and still rideable.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/09-s-works-epic-first-race-498517.html#post5514749

If the seals go then you'll probably lose air pressure and have the shock collapse.

Is your rear brain working ok if you try the recommended test?

To check the Platform function:

Set rebound fast
    Brain Full Firm
    shock pressure 140.

Stand next to your bike, use your forearm to press on the saddle.

the shock should have little/no play.

If there are several mm's of play prior to the platform, this may indicate service is needed

My New S-work Epic impressions

Is the shock holding pressure?

With my 2009 Epic rear shock I get some "pump drop" from 170psi to 150psi approx when I immediately reconnect the pump. When you attach the shock pump the air from the chamber has to fill the hose on the pump and the gauge to give a reading. With the small volume of air involved in the chamber to begin with attaching the pump effectively increases the volume of the chamber. The air expands through the valve and fills the extra space in the pump so you'll get a lower pressure reading on the gauge.

http://archive.mtbr.com/12/0EF4A977.php

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    yesterday and last week after my race, i am noticing more oil passing by the rear shock seal.i have 1 race to go and i am leading the series points. do i get another shock? if it fails, does it act like a hard tail or just collapse.
    Have you gotten the 50hr service yet?

mtbr member
    i havent even riddin the bike 50 hours. why ,does the seals in the rear shock go at the 50 hour period.

mtbr member
    lbs called spech. today. they told lbs that the oil blowing out of shock seal is normal.will not aprove warranty replacement.
    anybody know if the shock holds oil or air at the shaft seal area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have your shop perform an air sleeve maintenance, this involves cleaning, inspecting and greasing of the air sleeve seals, it will keep the shock performing smoothly. If there are no other symptoms, it's more likely that the fluid is seal lubrication in the form of a grease ring which is normal. Your shop will be able to determine during the air sleeve service. We recommend this service at least every 50hrs and a full service every 150/annually.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    i believe it is normal....maybe the fluid from my water bottle dripped on the shock.weekend race in ga. ......another 1st place and no shock problem.
    i never won this much in my life.lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0