Making it reign since '07

Help me warranty my Rockhopper

So, I have a '99 Rockhopper A1 FS Comp in the oh so purty grabber green that I have ridden HARD over the years. I love this bike - It just fits me like a glove. I've slowly upgraded just about every component on there so that it is now just about the perfect hardtail for me, EXCEPT ...

It has had a clicking or creaking sound when pedaling under load for awhile now. (I'm talking 3+ years) And, it's slowly been getting worse. I've replaced just about everything in the drivetrain/BB since it first started happening. I now have an external BB. I've had 2 shops just about completely disassemble it trying to diagnose the problem and found nothing. You can also get it to make the noise when bouncing on the cranks when they are parallel to the ground.

It HAS to be a small crack in the aluminum somewhere. My LBS said Spec wouldn't warranty it unless they can SEE the crack, and nobody can find it. I thought Spec had the best warranty in the business. What does a new Rockhopper frame cost them the manufacture? $150 tops? Why won't they hook up a long time customer?

Anybody have any ideas how I can get this bike warrantied? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a '07 Stumpjumper that does the same thing. Also, my '99 Cannondale was doing it. I thought it was the crank but when I had it on the stand, I noticed that it was where the deraileur cables go into the cable holders on the frame. I cleaned it and solved the problem.
    That was not the case on the Stumpjumper. I'll just ride it til it tears up. Then, I'll know what to fix.
    Scott.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had that same noise, but I replaced the BB and it was fine after that. Try going direct to Specialized, it sounds like you only have talked locally. Never done it myself though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have the same creaking noise whie pedaling hard on my '04 FSR XC Pro. I've just been living with it, alhtough it sure would be nice to figure out where its coming from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    On the StumpJumper FSR it is probably the bearings that need replacing....