Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Help me decide...Turner Czar or Specialized Epic

Looking for a solid 100mm XC bike and all but sold on the Turner Czar...although a buddy's Epic is really tickling my pickle. Feedback requested!

mtbr member
    Hmm, I wonder which one visitors to the Specilized sub forum would typically recommend?

I admit it, I'm biased.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Just curious as to the objective reasoning...if I'm planning to drop $10k on a bike, what would sway me to the Big Red S over say a Turner, Pivot, or even a Niner? Warranty?? I will admit, my previous warranty claims with Specialized have been very well handled.
    Last edited by El Castigador; 03-13-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

mtbr member

Turner, Pivot, even Niner would take my money over the specialized

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Based on performance, value, or perhaps other intangibles?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The 2014 Epic is the best XC bike you can buy. My S-Works WC climbs like a hardtail, makes the bumpiest trails feel smooth even with the brain on full lockout, and it is so stable on fast downhills that I can't believe it. I was originally planning on keeping my S-Works Stumpjumper FSR for days I wanted more suspensions travel, but I just don't need it. I don't know how they did it, but you would be crazy to buy anything else.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2012 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
    Delta 7 Ascend Road bike with ENVE wheels

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Was your Stumpy a 26er? I'm kind of in the same boat if so...currently have a 5 Spot that complemented my 26er XC bike well...wondering if there'll be too much overlap between the two if I go 100mm in a 29er. I think there very well may be, especially if I opt for a 120mm fork. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by El Castigador; 03-13-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Small phone, big thumbs, and drunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hard to beat either of them. The czar will probably be a bit better of a pedaler without lockout or brain, but the newer FSR has great kinematics, and throwing the brain stuff on top should make it a race car. I don't see how you can lose with either...the only reservation I do have is that the geo on the czar is a little weird. they have super short reaches for their TT lengths, so a large turner is going to net you 23.8 ett with 16.6 reach, while the spec has 24.3 and 17.7 in reach. The XL turner brings you up to a closer 24.6ett, but with only 17.1in of reach. What that boils down to is that if you like the short stem, wide bar phenomenon, you're SOL with turners. If you like running a longer stem, you'll probably be pretty stretched out on the specialized....might be worth test riding them both if there's an issue.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

I know what you mean about the Turner reach...when I moved from a 2010 Enduro to a 2012 5 Spot, I had to go from a 50mm stem to a 90mm to not have it feel like my grips were on top of my thighs; both bikes were XL's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No, my Stumpy FSR is 2012 S-works 29er. I feel like the 2014 Epic WC does everything better. I'm a racer and the biggest jumps I do probably have no more than 3-4 feet elevation. If you are dropping bigger than that regularly, than more travel would be better. If not, you can't beat the Epic.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2012 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
    Delta 7 Ascend Road bike with ENVE wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, I have never ridden the other bikes, but I can say good things about the epic too, I'm riding a 12' comp carbon 29 and enjoying it a lot. The suspension is good, especially the brain stuff, it works properly. Even though it is a xc bike I some times do technical trails and it handles well, despite of 100mm harshness. Geometry is great, and I didn't have relevant compontents problems so far. Also, if you are planning to get a 2014 model, I've heard good things about it too, it has the useful swat I wish I had on mine. Hope this helps

I'm riding the epic on the video, you can see it handle some drops.