mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Help me decide on a Specialized

I have been riding a Rockhopper HT and have been very happy but am a pretty serious rider now and love to hit some rough terrain and drops here and there. I usually ride every weekend during the nicer months and bike about 10 miles of trails each ride. I have been looking at the full suspension Spec bikes but have been getting contrary advice.

I want a bike that I can do my weekend trail riding with, hit the rough terrain, rocks, jumps, drops, but still be able to ride in a race. Does this type of bike even exist? Spec recommended the Enduro. My LBS said the Enduro is good but a lot of energy is lost b/c it does not have a rear lock-out. They recommended the Stumpjumper Expert w/ the brain. My concern is I will have a really good trail bike but will suffer in the rough sections. Any suggestions would be great. My price range is under $4K. Also, I am about 6'5" and weigh 235 lbs. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Go to the 29er forum and look through bike reviews. You are a perfect candidate for riding larger wheels. At your height, I'm sure it's difficult to find a frame to fit. If you have the opportunity, ride a couple of 29ers and see/feel the difference. I'm kind of surprised your LBS didn't suggest this, unless of course they don't carry 29ers...even though Specialized makes them.
    J

the #1 Stunna'
    If you want the Enduro, you can always get a shock with lock out. however, if you are looking to race, i would look into the Stumpy or an epic, furthermore, dont try to go jumping the epic off any tall drops where you will break the frame sure as hell, but then, if you buy new to hell with it, it is under warrenty right.......I guess what i am saying is that there is not really a bike that can take it all, if there was, every one would own just that bike
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunedin302
    I have been riding a Rockhopper HT and have been very happy but am a pretty serious rider now and love to hit some rough terrain and drops here and there. I usually ride every weekend during the nicer months and bike about 10 miles of trails each ride. I have been looking at the full suspension Spec bikes but have been getting contrary advice.

I want a bike that I can do my weekend trail riding with, hit the rough terrain, rocks, jumps, drops, but still be able to ride in a race. Does this type of bike even exist? Spec recommended the Enduro. My LBS said the Enduro is good but a lot of energy is lost b/c it does not have a rear lock-out. They recommended the Stumpjumper Expert w/ the brain. My concern is I will have a really good trail bike but will suffer in the rough sections. Any suggestions would be great. My price range is under $4K. Also, I am about 6'5" and weigh 235 lbs. Thanks.
    I think the SJ Expert or Pro is about as "do it all' as you're going to get. My '08 120 mm travel SJ Pro takes bumps and hits as well as my '03 130 mm travel Enduro Expert and is waaaaaay more efficient on the climbs. It would also depend on the jumps and drops that you hit too. I wouldn't go cranking up a 20' double or drop anything over 4' or 5' on the SJ either. I wouldn't hestitate to hit any 8' - 10' jumps on it though. If you're going to be hitting a gnarly downhill section, you can always dial out the brain so that you're shock is full open. You just need to count your clicks so you can dial it back once you're done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

second bikensand

The SJ Expert is fantastic for what you say you want to do.

I bought one and have nothing but praise for the bike. Specialized did excatly what they said they wanted to do with this bike - build one bike for the way most of us ride most of the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rocket
    Go to the 29er forum and look through bike reviews. You are a perfect candidate for riding larger wheels. At your height, I'm sure it's difficult to find a frame to fit. If you have the opportunity, ride a couple of 29ers and see/feel the difference. I'm kind of surprised your LBS didn't suggest this, unless of course they don't carry 29ers...even though Specialized makes them.
    J
    I totally agree. What a great candidate to ride a 29er. If OP has great leg strength, he will blow past the competition. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    dont try to go jumping the epic off any tall drops where you will break the frame sure as hell, but then, if you buy new to hell with it, it is under warrenty right.......

just like a speeder-bike
    I think it depends on what you mean by "drops."

2 foot or smaller, naturally occurring trail drops, and small dirt jumps? I use my Stumpy FSR for that, it's great. (I'm about 200lbs.) It's also my "race" bike. I wish it were a bit lighter, but I'm not that serious about racing -- I only do it a couple times a year if I'm lucky. And the Stumpy is great for me in the rough stuff, although I'm sure the Enduro is even better at that.

3, 4, 5+ foot drops to flat, or big table top jumps? I think you're in Enduro/Enduro SL country. But the weight/geometry of those bikes will be an impediment if you get serious about racing and start moving up to Sport/Expert class.

Both are great bikes! I'd get the bike that favors what you want most: the ability to race more competitively, or the ability to dabble in the bigger stuff. (But don't fool yourself, I wouldn't call the Stumpy a hardcore race bike.) And please, please don't sell that Rockhopper if you can help it: convert it into a singlespeed. (Trust me, you'll thank me later.)

the #1 Stunna'
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    am i wrong? i went through 3 frames, then decided to hell with it and got a bike more sutied for my riding?
    I has Bikes

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    am i wrong? i went through 3 frames, then decided to hell with it and got a bike more sutied for my riding?
    Yes you are. A warranty replacement program is designed to cover riders against manufacturing defects, not from riders taking bikes beyond the bikes' intended purpose and expecting a replacement when they fail. That takes advantage of the program and the riders who now can't get a replacement frame when they have a honest defect with thiers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the great advice. My LBS told me they spoke w/ Specialized about a 29er for me. They both agreed that the 26" was better for the type of riding that I would be doing. He said it (26") was more responsive and agile. I have never riden a 29er so I have no idea.

I must admit, I really wanted an SX Trial w/ the rear fox shock and coil spring but it seems that it is way overkill for my type of riding, not to mention, it will kill me on the trails. Seems that the SJ FSR is in my future. Any opinions on if the Pro is worth the money over the Expert?? I can get a '08 SJ Expert for $3400 + $250 in store credit towards accessories. I am a little hesitant b/c I don't know what the '09 SJs hold in store.

the #1 Stunna'
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Yes you are. A warranty replacement program is designed to cover riders against manufacturing defects, not from riders taking bikes beyond the bikes' intended purpose and expecting a replacement when they fail. That takes advantage of the program and the riders who now can't get a replacement frame when they have a honest defect with thiers.
    Word, and that is why i no longer have an Epic. I was not taking past what i thought was reasonable limits. it is not like i was taking it off 15 foot hits or anything, it was "normal" fast track riding. there are a few rock drops in the trails and that is what did it.
    I has Bikes