mtbr member

help me build my 05 Stump fsr expert 120

Just got an 05 Stumpy expert 120 frame and seatpost for $430, (Good Deal??)

now I need to build it up,

Heres is the background; I have a mid nineties Bianchi hardtail with used but working parts on it that I think i can transfer over, like a control tech 50mm stem, Aheadset headset, XT V brakes, XTR shifters, XT front derailer, Older Sun rims with desent hubs and new tires on it, Old Rock crawler cranks and a worn out Sun ringle rings. The cassette on the rear is 8 speed, Also just bought a riser bar and a good seat for it rescently that can transfer over.

Most importantly I will be buying a front fork, either a fox float rlc, or a manitou minute 1,2 or 3.

What would you guys replace, I woudl like the bike to shift better than my current bike, so I was thinking of replacing the XTR rear derailer (With either Sram or XT), the bottom bracket, the cranks and rings, XT front derailer, and maybe the headset (chris King)

what is the most important to get a smooth bike like you woudl get off the shelf, I dont want to end up with a funky setup that has issues. But I will be buying all these parts used, except maybe the fork.

thanks for your help

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Smile Thompson-a no brainer

Spend the extra $$ and get a Thompson seatpost and stem. These two parts will outlast the bike. I also recommend the FOX float fork. Oury lock-on grips are also great. If you are doing a good amount of steep downhills, a set of disk brakes is a great upgrade from the old style v-brakes. Thats an upgrade that can be done down the road, it seems the price of hydro-disks has been dropping quite a bit in the last few years, maybe the trend will continue. Everyone swears by a Chris King headset, thats next on my wish list, but I have to let the current one wear out before I can justify the bling of a King. Remember, shopping for the new bike is fun, but that first ride is where you want to be. Take a pic of that smile from ear to ear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey IW, seems I'm running in to your posts all over the place. Your info here is more through so I'll give some thoughts (besides I'm bored and this passes the time).
    Your stem is pretty short assuming you bought the right size frame. Look into something longer.
    Keep your wheels and brakes until you can afford good replacements. Get new tires! I recommend Specialized Roll-X 2.0 (if you can find them) or Adrenalin 2.0, or Kenda Nevegal lites either 2.0 or 2.1 (not sure which they offer)
    LX crankset is teh best bang for your buck available, don't mess with used as bottom bracket bearings and chainrings wear out, and for about $150 new its not worth messing with.
    No need to upgrade to 9 speed 8 is just fine. Consider a new cassette though, if your rings are shot your cassette won't be much better. Besides nothing will shift as well as a new chain on new rings front and rear! Buy a good deraileur XT (honestly I had no complaints with the LX on my old bike) or X9 make sure the X9 is compatable with your shifters if you decide to go the Sram route. Used is OK but its hard to tell what has been used and what has been abused, buyer beware, especially on Ebay. Actually since your shifters are near 10 years old check to be sure any current deraileur will work with them.
    As for the fork you will not be disapointed with a fox for sure! The Minutes are also pretty good though. And to be fair the new line of Rock Shox are getting decent reviews also, but I don't know anyone who has them so I can't really comment too much.

The Thompson seat post recommended above is a great piece but there is nothing wrong with the Specialized one you got with the frame. I suggest you spend your money somewhere else right now as you will not feel a difference in the ride from a seatpost upgrade.
    Ditto on the CK headset, its top notch hardware but you will not really feel a difference over a less expensive new headset.

Keep in mind every part on a bike has a limited lifespan. If you are going to buy used make sure you are saving enough $$ to justify the shorter life. And to give my honest opinion the piece I'd be most willing to buy used is the Fork! Deraileurs, chainrings, and cassettes are not rebuildable. When they are done they are recyclable scrap metal. But a fork from 04 or 05 can be bought for half price of new, professionally rebuild and you will have 95% of a new fork for 75% of the new fork cost.

Hope this has helped!!

mtbr member
    definatly helps, thanks for all the feedback so far,

I plan on keeping my rear XTR derailer, XT front derailer, wheels, V brakes and thats about it, in fact I might even replace the front V brake for a disc as it is harder to find a good fork that is V brake compatible. I think I may be able to transfer my headset as well.

Everything else I will replace, stem, cranks, bottom bracket, and front fork and the front v brake I may replace with a good disc.

Does this sound ok, I have my eye on a few new cranks on ebay and craigslist, in fact I found a guy selling 175 mm S works cranks, I figure these are probably pretty nice. Will buy a new bottom bracket because my current one is old and grindy sounding.

For the front fork is it really that important to have the adjustable travel? I do mostly fireroads and some singletrack. And would I be good with 100 mm of travel or the 90 to 130mm??

Thanks for your help, I have my eye on a few new parts on ebay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I posted on your old thread about not knowing what S Works cranks are. In case you didn't read it....as far as I know S Works bikes use XTR cranks, excellent stuff for sure. Just be sure you know what you are buying.

Adjustable travel important? No not really. But having the CORRECT amount of travel for your frame IS important. I feel that a 100mm fork will increase the head angle of the bike too much. This makes the bike more twitchy and less stable at speed. It can make the bike climp better but that is not an area where your bike needs improvement, the bike will ride better overall with a 120-130mm fork on it, no need to pay for adjustable travel. When I trail ride I extend my TALAS all way out to 130, in town I drop it a little bit to 120-125.

Centainly nothing wrong with keeping those parts at all. A front disc upgrade will be money well spent. A 6 inch rotor is all you need. My bike came with a 7 inch front rotor and it is overkill on this bike.

Replacing your headset is a good idea. They are not that expensive and being a bearing they do wear out. You will have things apart anyway replace it. Just to feel teh need to go for the full bling Chris King part. If your old one is in good condition however go ahead and use it. Just be sure to check it out.

mtbr member
    thanks, ripp for you rhelp and sorry for the double post I have read both your responses, and they make alot of sense,

I am hoping to get either a manitou minute or a fox float 130mm of travel for the bike, I have my eye on some nice trueativ cranks on ebay as well as a sram rear derailer and shifters and a rear cassette. The only issue I have now is it difficult to find a front fork that will accept v brakes, so the disc upgrade may be coming sooner than later. Do I need special hubs to accept disc brakes or will they fit on standard hubs, if they dont I will just find a fork that will accept v brakes.??

As far as the headset and stem are concerned I will probably move up to 100mm stem and a new headset.

Thank you for your suggestions, I hope to get this bike built so I can enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will need disc compatible hubs if you want disc brakes. I would definately reccomend spending the money to upgrade to the disc brakes. I have a set of Avid BB7 cable brakes and Shimano XT hydraulics on two different bikes. The Avids aren't as powerful as the Shimanos but they are way better than any v-brake. You have been given some good advice already. The Chris King headset and Thomson post are nice pieces of equipment but are not where you are going to get the most value for your money. Take a look at your existing headset, is it 1 1/8 threadless? If not you will need to replace it. The Chris King will outlast your bike but will cost you $130. There are plenty of decent headsets you can pick up for a lot less. I assume the new riser bar you bought is 25.4 diameter and is not oversize. Keep that in mind when buying your stem. The 50mm stem sounds way short if you are on the proper size frame. 100mm should be close but I wouldn't buy an expensive stem till you know the proper length and rise. Good luck and have fun building your bike.

mtbr member
    Ended up buying a manitou minute 3 fork with only one season of trail use on it for $250 shipped. it has 100-130 adjusted travel and semms like it will be a good fork for the frame,

Now I only need a new LX crankset and BB, and a new 8 speed cassette. Other than that I will transfer everything else fpr now. Cant afford new hubs and discs right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes you need a wheel able to deal with the forces of a disc brake. A disc drasticaly changes the way braking forces are trasmitted to the ground so you will need a new wheel.

This is getting complicated isn't it!

Tough it out, it may cost a bit more that you had planned but you will have a great bike when finished.

mtbr member
    OK I have my eye on a few lx cranksets on ebay, now I am trying to figure out which bottom bracket the stumpjumper takes, anyone know off hand, 68mm or 72mm??

The cranks will cost me around $75 bucks, the bottom braket another 20 bucks or so, I am buying new,, dont want someones old beat up SH!@#T for my new bike.

A new cassette and chain and I shodul be good to go, I will eventually get an XT derailer too, cause my old XTR is beat.