mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Help getting S-works crank smooth and flowy on 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

Well local shop just installed the S-works crank on my wife's Carbon comp Stumpjumper and when the chain is not on if I turn it hard it will go half a turn. On her 2009 S-works it will make like 3 or 4 full turns. Both sides spin freely when not tightened but once tightened it gets hard. If I remove the wave washer it can spin like 1 - 1.5 full turns but not sure if I should leave the wave washer out. On both sides it has the gasket like piece and on drive side it has the tripe spider spacer and non drive gasket washer then wave washer than outward spacer. I am using the Truvantiv 39-26 XX setup and cannot get it to free-flow smoothly. Please suggestions to make it smooth like her 2009. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This may or may not help. I upgraded to some Shimano SLX cranks a couple years ago on my old 26" bike. When I first installed them I had the same issue, my old crank would spin for days when I flicked the pedal, but the new one only made MAYBE one full revolution. I left it as is and rode it for a couple weeks. Next time I gave it a good bath, I removed the chain and the crank would spin very freely. It might just take a little "bedding in". Could be wrong tho....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772 View Post
    Well local shop just installed the S-works crank on my wife's Carbon comp Stumpjumper and when the chain is not on if I turn it hard it will go half a turn. On her 2009 S-works it will make like 3 or 4 full turns. Both sides spin freely when not tightened but once tightened it gets hard. If I remove the wave washer it can spin like 1 - 1.5 full turns but not sure if I should leave the wave washer out. On both sides it has the gasket like piece and on drive side it has the tripe spider spacer and non drive gasket washer then wave washer than outward spacer. I am using the Truvantiv 39-26 XX setup and cannot get it to free-flow smoothly. Please suggestions to make it smooth like her 2009. Thanks...
    It's really sensitive to crank tightness and the spacers which tension the bearings, play around with different spacer setups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I messed with a full day of spacers and tightness, I just greased the inner seal spacer and seems better but not perfect.