Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help: Epic, Mojo, or Stump Jumper??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeepnut22 
#1 ·
I'm looking for advice on which bike would be the best compromise for my type of riding - an Epic, my current bike (Ibis Mojo), or a Stumpjumper. I've started to race in week night series in sport class and have been steadily improving. Most of the courses have a few roots, minimal rocks, and small to no drops. These courses are great for Epics. My lungs / body are what is limiting me on the course, not the bike. My mojo isn't a light build, but weights 27 lbs. I, however, am carrying some extra weight!

However, my regular fun/morning ride from my house has numerous roots, rocks up to 5", occasional drops of 2-3', some fun jumps, and lots of very short + steep hills (beyond what can be scaled in granny gear in the saddle). The terrain is extremely varied (dips and ruts/ log pile crossings) and I ride after hours so it's been a lot safer running 140mm/69 degree head tube on my mojo than 80mm / 71+ degree head tube on my last bike, a SC superlight. Finally, I occasionally commute 13 miles to work so it's nice to be in a more upright position since I'm often carrying a laptop (position also good for family rides). I test rode a 2010 stumpjumper and loved everything about it except how it climbed the steep hills at 140mm. It was majic at 120mm, but the terrain changes too fast for me to feel like changing it. However, it was a demo bike so i didn't adjust the stem angle or handlebars. I thought it was slow in the twisties at 140, but that was probably just me not being used to a longer travel bike yet.

So...will the epic handle the drops/log piles/ ditches/etc and not feel too twitch on fast steep / rough decents...or...how well can the stumpy be raced? I just loved the way the brain worked, the lateral stiffness (alloy Stumpy), it's speed, the ability to do manuals / wheelies, and the water bottle cage location. I also like the steeper seat tube angle over my Mojo (I have the seat all the way forward). Or, should I just stay with the mojo, which seems to be in the middle. The camber would be great, but I don't think Spec offers a brain model...and I'll be sleeping in the garage if I get another bike....

See less See more
#3 ·
You need an Epic to race with and a Stumpjumper FSR for your trail riding with the 2+ foot drops. ;) If you cant afford both maybe you should also look at the new 2012 Cambers....

I use to race an 26" SJ FSR, so it can be done. A hardtail in more cases then not is going to be the lightest & fastest option.

I love my Epic, it's the best dam XC bike I've even ridden.

#4 ·
Do you have a spending limit? If not, then go Epic 29er with full Sram XX for racing, and Mojo SL-R for everything else. If can only have one bike for everything, then sell your Mojo and upgrade to the Mojo SL-R. Second choice for do it all would be either Stumpjumper Carbon Expert/Pro, or the new carbon Stumpjumper Evo Expert. :p

#5 ·
The Epic is not built to handle those 2-3 foot drops. It will fail if you put it through that. Unless you want to keep your Mojo for that kind of riding. The Epic will obviously be the best bet for an XC racing course, though.

Otherwise, dump some cash into your Mojo to lighten it up and install a Fox Talas fork. This way you can drop the suspension height in front for climbing and then raise it up again for the downhill...

#7 ·
Was in the same dilemma with my 2007 31 lb. Endure SL. Saved and sold other toys and picked up an Epic EVO that I use for tamer trails and for racing.

Keep the Mojo and work on getting an Epic. You will not be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.