Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Help deciding Stumpjumper FSR 2008 or 2010?

I hope to get some opinions on a choice I have to make:

$2,100(*) - 2008 Stumpjumper FSR 29

GOOD:
    - Cheaper (note original MSRP was $4,100)
    - "Expert" frame
    - Brain on rear shock
    - Somewhat better components

BAD:
    - Used slightly, 2nd hand, no warranty
    - Green/brown color scheme
    - Specs: http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...008&spid=33437
    - Video review: http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?la...layer&video=38

-OR-

$2,500(*) - 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29

GOOD:
    - Improved(?) frame/technology (I assume)
    - Black color
    - New, under warranty, maybe better resale value

BAD:
    - More expensive
    - No brain, somewhat lower components
    - Specs: http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...45842&eid=4950

(*) Note on pricing: I have included all discounts, shipping, taxes and other expected costs, for a more realistic comparisson.

About me: Have ridden a bit about 6 years ago on a EPX Terrashark carbon. Wanted to take it out again and got some squeaks - LBS says the carbon swing arm came unbonded from the alloy hinge and is unsafe to ride... but I want to get back into the full swing riding 2-3 times a week. 45 years old, love the off-road trails in North county San Diego canyons but more interested in the fitness part rather than adrenaline seeking bruising. It may take some time to get really good on technical trails.

So what would you recommend? The Brain and cheaper price sound appealing and point to the 2008 Stumpy. But if the Brain would not add that much to my skill/level, the piece of mind of a new bike may be better?

Opinions?
    Last edited by rneagu; 11-03-2009 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd say go new, but that's me. The brain is truly amazing technology, but somewhat unnecessary on a trail bike. AND it's one more very expensive thing to break on a warranty-less bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SurfSailRide, thanks for the feedback; good point on the expensive part w/o warranty.

I also was just searching to find out more about where does the Brain magic most help... not finding much. What do you mean that is not neccessary on a trail bike; when it is most helpful to have?

mtbr member
    The price on the 08 sounds high. I wouldn't pay more than 50-60% of the original price for a two year old bike.

You might want to search the forum for brain problems. I'm not sure they had all the bugs worked out in 2008.
    To avoid injury, do not ride with your eyes closed

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Billee, the price for the 2008 is actually $1850 (and I found the MSRP for it to vary between $4100 and $3500), I have included the additional costs for shipping ($120) + putting it back together and inspection/calibration (~$130)

Same for the 2010, I have substracted expected discount and then added the sales tax, trying to get to compare apples to apples as far as all out of pocket expenses.

I'll search for 2008 Brain bugs; thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rneagu
    SurfSailRide, thanks for the feedback; good point on the expensive part w/o warranty.

I also was just searching to find out more about where does the Brain magic most help... not finding much. What do you mean that is not neccessary on a trail bike; when it is most helpful to have?
    Climbing, of course, will be when it's most helpful. It will stiffen up the rear suspension, simulating a hard tail. However, the geometry and balance of the Stumpjumper are refined enough to virtually not even need it, unless you are racing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SurfSailRide, that's great to know. Then it looks like the 2010 may be the way to go for me: more warranty security, less complexity to worry about, spanking new bike... for a bit more $.

Pastor Josh
    I would go 2010 as long as you get the suspension set up correctly you will be more than ok. I have an 08 epic with the brain and i have to admit that I love that feature but with the pro pedal switch so easily accessible on the 2010 Stumpy thats what I would do.
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Joeshwa24 - thanks for input; seems the signs point to going with the 2010 and using manual switch on the shock. That makes sense to me. I'll see what kind of a discount I may be able to get from the MSRP from my LBS.

mtbr member
    The 2008 have issues with pedal hits, a friend of mine sold his because of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Haunted - Indeed, I read about this, seems several people had issues with low clearence. Should I assume the geometry of the 2010 resolves this issue?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Haunted - Indeed, I read about this, seems several people had issues with low clearence. Should I assume the geometry of the 2010 resolves this issue?
    The specs. on specialized web site are the same...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Corrected links

Dadtorbn - The links were reversed; they are corrected now, as below:

2008 Stumpjumper FSR 29
    http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...008&spid=33437
    Video review at testrider.com: http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?la...layer&video=38

2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...45842&eid=4950

Would the ground clearence be shown as "bottom bracket height"? If so, the 2008 shows 328mm and the 2010 shows as 338mm...so somewhat better, like 0.4" higher.

mtbr member
    Specialized said that the issue has been resolved on the 2010, the bb is 10mm higher and the suspension sit higher when pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Haunted - exactly; that looks to correspond with the geometry specs posted in the links above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dadtorbn - The links were reversed; they are corrected now, as below:

2008 Stumpjumper FSR 29
    http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...008&spid=33437
    Video review at testrider.com: http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?la...layer&video=38

2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...45842&eid=4950

Would the ground clearence be shown as "bottom bracket height"? If so, the 2008 shows 328mm and the 2010 shows as 338mm...so somewhat better, like 0.4" higher.

Sorry I looked at the non 29er...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Haunted
    Specialized said that the issue has been resolved on the 2010, the bb is 10mm higher and the suspension sit higher when pedaling.
    I hope so I have an expert 29er due this week... I hope...

Someone else told me on these boards that most of the 10mm increase in height will be eaten by the increase in sag desired due to increased travel of the suspension...

Bottom Bracket question

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bottom bracket height

Dadtorbn - indeed, have not thought about that; increased travel eating up the extra height. I would assume Specialized knows about the BB hitting obstacles issue and that they would have addressed such an issue with a redesign, or at least consider it together with many other variables/constraints that probably they have to satisfy...

The Expert looks great; did not want to spend the extra $800 myself - Comp29 is $2500 and Expert29 is $3300. If you don't mind me asking, was the Brain the main attraction or was it something else that made you splurge more for the Expert? Have you compared/tested Brain vs. Triad previously?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dadtorbn - indeed, have not thought about that; increased travel eating up the extra height. I would assume Specialized knows about the BB hitting obstacles issue and that they would have addressed such an issue with a redesign, or at least consider it together with many other variables/constraints that probably they have to satisfy...

The Expert looks great; did not want to spend the extra $800 myself - Comp29 is $2500 and Expert29 is $3300. If you don't mind me asking, was the Brain the main attraction or was it something else that made you splurge more for the Expert? Have you compared/tested Brain vs. Triad previously?
    I'm a big boy... 6'5" and presently ~300lbs. I purchased an XL size. The front fork on the expert is 15mm QR. I figured the extra stiffness wouldn't hurt. Also, where I ride it's all up and down. There's not much flat terrain at all. I didn't want to fiddle with Propedal on and off. It looks to b e pretty easy to adjust on the 2010 models. I'm just getting back into riding after a very long hiatus and want it to be as much fun as possible... Lastly, it's been a good year for me so the funds were available...

I didn't compare propedal to brain. I only read... Being a big boy no one stock much of anything in my size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dadtorbn - that makes sense. A lot of my trails are first 1/2 up teh hill and then go down so the Triad may work for me just fine. Plus I like the idea of the full warranty on a new bike. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the 2010 FSR Comp now.

Thanks all for sharing your feedback!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dadtorbn - that makes sense. A lot of my trails are first 1/2 up teh hill and then go down so the Triad may work for me just fine. Plus I like the idea of the full warranty on a new bike. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the 2010 FSR Comp now.

Thanks all for sharing your feedback!

A couple of other notes... I without much effort was able to get them to knock $300 off the MSRP. You should be able to do something similar. Also, if you aren't a mutant like me they may have a bike you can demo ride for ~$50 for a day. If you then buy a bike from them they'll apply the demo fee to your purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I called around and found a shop that offered $300 off MSRP (and free tune-ups for life) but the shop was located 45' away. I opted for a closer one, even though I could only get it down $200. Decided to skip the limbo state of indecision and just pull the trigger. Got the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 last night (looks hot!) and will take it for a spin this afternoon... can't wait!

Pastor Josh
    I called around and found a shop that offered $300 off MSRP (and free tune-ups for life) but the shop was located 45' away. I opted for a closer one, even though I could only get it down $200. Decided to skip the limbo state of indecision and just pull the trigger. Got the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 last night (looks hot!) and will take it for a spin this afternoon... can't wait!
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here is a pic with the bike in a virgin state (detailed gallery made with Shozam at http://onlinewerks.com/bikes/):

Full Shozam gallery with details: http://onlinewerks.com/bikes/
    Last edited by rneagu; 11-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    All the pictures point to you making the RIGHT decision...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast