mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Help with crankset on 2010 Pitch Comp!

hey everyone, just bought my self a brand new 2010 pitch comp and took it for a ride and loved it, besides the stock pedals of course. so the next time i went for a ride i decided to put the platforms from my dh bike on temporarily until on got some clipless pedals for it, but in my rush, i put the pedals on backwards and the stripped out both the threads where the pedals go! so now I need to buy some new cranks, unless there is a way to re-tap those threads while keeping it the same size?

anyways i was looking at cranksets that would be below the $150 mark and stumbled upon these http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

I dont know anything about sizes and the specialized site doesnt offer much information either, I dont know if this has the right chain ring sizes or the right width or what, but from what I can tell it will work and comes with a new bb to replace the stock internal one.

So can anyone give me any confirmation that this crankset will work? if not ,can you recommend one that will for under $150?
    any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
    2008 Transition Blindside
    2010 Pitch Comp

Upgrade your life

Yes

That crankset will work. You will have to switch out the bottom bracket(comes with the new one) along with the crankset.

J
    Im like a termite, i love wood features.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what about the chain line? i heard those cranks are pretty wide, will it get affected? and will my old chain rings be able to bolt on that set?
    2010 Pitch Comp

Upgrade your life
    The bottom bracket comes with 3 spacers that you will use to space it out to the correct width. I think you need a 50mm chainline (please validate).

J
    Im like a termite, i love wood features.

mtbr member
    Those cranks will work fine. You can go even cheaper and get the black deore OE cranks jenson has that will probably work fine. I'm thinking of picking up one for a hard tail im throwing together as my xc bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Do you think my chainrings from my old cranks will swap over?
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    one thing with the pitch comp(unless where you bought it from swapped it out) is that they come with an internal bottom bracket vs the external bottom bracket of the pitch pro, thats the one I have. Make sure you have the shimano bottom bracket wrench. You can pick one up at the lbs. The new cranks will come with an external bb however you need the wrench to install them. Yes the chain rings should transfer over, but unless you put different chain rings on not sure why you'd want to transfer them. If you do transfer them its a goo idea to use a little blue loctite on the chain ring bolts. btw If your not sure, your stock crank arm length is 175mm.
    Last edited by monstertiki; 02-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ya well i thought id transfer them over so the drive train would mesh, i heard its not good to replace one piece on your drivetrain without replacing every other thing too, so i figured id just put the old chainrings on the new crank, does that sound reasonable or unnecessary?
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    It shouldn't be an issue to just use the new chain rings. Install bottom bracket ( the included instructions will tell you how many spacers you need) Then install the cranks. Blue loctite is a good idea for your non driveside crank arm bolts. You have a 68mm bottom bracket shell on your pitch. Install pedals and throw the chain on there. You should be good to go and ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks man! never really messed with bottom bracket stuff so im gunna have my friend who works at a shop help me out
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Make sure you watch how he installs everything. It's good to know how to do that stuff, and it's not hard. I can swap out a set of cranks in minutes now. Also if you don't have one on your chain get a magic link on there so you can take it on and off for easy maintenance as you do not need tools to remove them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ya i will. i also heard that it might be possible to re-tap threads into the crank arms, but that wouldnt make any sense, because the whole is now bigger, correct?
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    It is possible to use a helicoil to do that. If your cranks were expensive enough to warrant that it would be something worth trying. Being that the pitch comp is more entry level I would just get new cranks. This video shows how helicoils works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ok, so i bought those deore lx cranks, and installed them, but something is rubbing, the chain is i think rubbing on the side of the metal cage by the pulleys on the derauiller. it seems to be creating a decent amount of drag, cranks dont spin very freely, but idk if thats a problem with the bottom bracket. i dont know how to fix that rubbing though?
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    When you installed the cranks did you put one of the 2.5mm spacers on the non-drive side and 2 2.5mm spacers on the driveside? It's good to cover the basics first. Also when the chain is off how do cranks spin? I've installed a shimano external bb and accidentally messed up that little pipe between them because they didn't line up right. U might wanna check that. If you messed up the little pipe you can run the bottom bracket without that. Also didn't you say you had a buddy that works in a bikeshop who was gonna help you out, or did he talk you into doing it yourself?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    na, he did it, but hes a kid to so he wasnt paying super close attention to detail, i think the 2 spacers are on the non drive side? im not 100 percent sure
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Yeah it should be 1 on non-drive and 2 on drive. Here's a lint to shimano help page.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tech_tips.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    and i should clarify that it's kind of a weird bike shop lol, its called bike cart, students work at this little cart on campus and fix other peoples campus bikes and whatnot, but he is a competent mechanic, he also said that since the bottom bracket was new it might have a fair amount of drag on it, but there is a good amount of drag
    2010 Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the pitch has a 68mm bottom bracket stock right?
    2010 Pitch Comp