mtbr member
    May 2010

Help - Convert Lyrik R to Coil

I would like to convert my 2010 Lyrik R that came on my Enduro to a coil. Not the U-turn, but the DH Coil.

Is this all I need, Or do I need some other parts too?

Lyrik U-Turn Spring Soft Yellow | eBay

Thanks

mtbr member
    You need more than just the spring.
    -Coil side seal head(160 mm travel I assume), preload spacers, and top cap.This is available from sram. The lowers will need to be dropped so better have your lbs do it if you don't know how.
    Are you keeping the stock damper or switching to Mission control?If I were you since you are light enough to run a soft spring I would keep the solo air spring and swap the damper.You won't have to drop the lowers and you would gain high/low speed compression adjust and a floodgate if you get the non dh version.I am not just making stuff up, I am a mechanic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    You need more than just the spring.
    -Coil side seal head(160 mm travel I assume), preload spacers, and top cap.This is available from sram. The lowers will need to be dropped so better have your lbs do it if you don't know how.
    Are you keeping the stock damper or switching to Mission control?If I were you since you are light enough to run a soft spring I would keep the solo air spring and swap the damper.You won't have to drop the lowers and you would gain high/low speed compression adjust and a floodgate if you get the non dh version.I am not just making stuff up, I am a mechanic.
    How can you possibly switch the rebound damper (which is necessary if you convert the compression to MiCo) without removing the lowers? This doesnīt work!

mtbr member
    I am not talking about the rebound damper I am talking about the compression damper, the rebound seal head stays the same, all you have to do is pull stock compression damper, drain oil, new oil and bolt in new compression damper. So no, you do not have to drop the lowers. I upgrade floor models all the time for customers that want either mission control or 2 step etc. Again, not making crap up I do this for a living.
    Last edited by Sugar_Brad; 10-29-2011 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    if you want to run the mision control DH which does not have the floodgate ive been told the rebound circuit needs to be changed to the dual flow rebound system. if that is the case the lowers do need to be dropped for that. correct?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    if you want to run the mision control DH which does not have the floodgate ive been told the rebound circuit needs to be changed to the dual flow rebound system. if that is the case the lowers do need to be dropped for that. correct?
    Thats what i've been told.

mtbr member
    All the Lyriks I have swapped cartridges on have had floodgate. You could always buy a compression cartridge and then remove the floodgate if you didn't want it and keep the stock rebound seal head assembly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I am not talking about the rebound damper I am talking about the compression damper, the rebound seal head stays the same, all you have to do is pull stock compression damper, drain oil, new oil and bolt in new compression damper. So no, you do not have to drop the lowers. I upgrade floor models all the time for customers that want either mission control or 2 step etc. Again, not making crap up I do this for a living.
    First of all...even if it dosenīt matter...I do this for a living as well!

Second: What you have to change depands on the dampers the fork is equiped with. The current MiCo and MiCo DH compression dampers need the Dual-Flow rebound to work propably.
    So if you have a fork which is equiped with something else the MiCo, you have to change the rebound damper as well!

This thread is about a Lyrik R which is equiped with no compression damper and no Dual-Flow-Rebound. The stock rebound damper dosenīt flow enough oil for the MiCo basevalve to work propably.
    This means that you have to change the rebound damper as well if you want the fork to perform as it should!

Sidenote: A MiCo with removed floodgate isnīt exactly the same a MiCo DH as they are shimmed differntly.
    The floodgate MiCo is shimmed softer than the MiCo DH.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    First of all...even if it dosenīt matter...I do this for a living as well!

Second: What you have to change depands on the dampers the fork is equiped with. The current MiCo and MiCo DH compression dampers need the Dual-Flow rebound to work propably.
    So if you have a fork which is equiped with something else the MiCo, you have to change the rebound damper as well!

This thread is about a Lyrik R which is equiped with no compression damper and no Dual-Flow-Rebound. The stock rebound damper dosenīt flow enough oil for the MiCo basevalve to work propably.
    This means that you have to change the rebound damper as well if you want the fork to perform as it should!

Sidenote: A MiCo with removed floodgate isnīt exactly the same a MiCo DH as they are shimmed differntly.
    The floodgate MiCo is shimmed softer than the MiCo DH.
    +1. This is correct info.

The stock rebound shaft does not displace enough oil to make Mission Control or Mission Control DH work properly. The stock R rebound shaft does displace the proper amount of oil for Motion Control.

If you run the "R" rebound with Mission Control damper; platform damping works, the rest of the adjustments barely work and who knows what high speed compression does.
    I have run this.

Sram's documentation documents which damper matches with which.

P

mtbr member
    It also depends on what year Mission Control, all the enduros we have sold were 2010 with 09 lyrik internals. The kits sram have sent us were all without new rebound seal head units and were compatible with the "r" damper. P is correct with the newer cartridges and internals, they will only work correctly with the larger displacing rebound damper/seal head. On a side note-you can use pre 2012 2 step cartridges with newer mission control dampers but the oil volumes and install procedures are different.
    mcgong, I would still choose to upgrade rebound/compression dampers over a coil. Regardless please have your lbs install for you.