mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Help: Carve SL Creak

So has anyone had good luck in eliminating the creak in the EBB? I've tried a couple types of grease. My lbs has recommended Pipe joint compound so I'm going to try that next. Also I have not been able to fine the appropriate torque specs for the EBB bolts. Can any one provide a link of where to find them? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlava View Post
    Also I have not been able to fine the appropriate torque specs for the EBB bolts.
    http://service.specialized.com/colla...tion-Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've had my Crave SL (2014 model) and have only had one instance where my EBB was creaking. I stripped and cleaned the whole bottom bracket; took the cranks off, removed the GXP cups, and cleaned out the shell as well as the actual EBB insert. Re-greased the GXP cup threads using Park Tool polylube and put a light coating of it all over the insert. I believe it was caused by a bit of dirt and between cleaning it up and torquing the cups, cranks, and EBB bolts to exact specs using a torque wrench. All has been quiet since I did that, but I routinely clean the shell once or twice a season as dirt seems to migrate up into the shell at the split shell area.

However, I've had creaks that I swore up and down was at the EBB but ended up being one of the following:

Headset
    Handlebar/stem interface
    Pedal
    Rear dropout insert was tightened too much and was clicking every pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have read that sometimes the problem may not be crank and to check pedals etc, also read that boat bearing grease is good. If you have ever seen boat grease it is white and almost impossible to remove from your hands !!. You can also get converters to convert pressed fit bearings to other like hollowtec. This may cure problems but also all relies on the overall tightening of the assembly so if any play will creak still. Never had problem and this is all on Internet. Why is there so many posts on pressed fit bearing problems?.

Low speed, High Drag
    My Crave SL squeaked like crazy. Turns out it was the seatpost. Put in a Syntace P6 hi-Flex, and no more squeak!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.