mtbr member

Help! 06 Stumpjumper

Hi.

I am building an 06 stumpjumper fsr and need some help. It's going to be a gift so I want to get it right. My main concern is with cable routing. I have never seen a complete version of this bike and I was wondering if anyone could post a picture or two. I would like to see the housing lengths from the shifters to the first ferrule and the routing and lengths used under the bottom bracket. I really don't want to induce ghost shifting on this bike.

If you can give me some feedback on the build parts I'd appreciate it too

Shifters SRAM X9
    Rear Der SRAM X9
    Front Der XT (I have a SRAM but don't know if it will work any info?)
    Brakes Avid Juicy 7
    Seatpost & Stem Thomson
    Bars Titec Hellbent
    ODI Lockon Ruffians
    Crankset XT (older version very lightly used)
    Headset CK
    Wheelset Specialized (From an Enduro)

Any help is appreciated.
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

This is really quite simple and....

doesn't require pictures, but I'll post one or two later. Here's what you do to get the lengths right. First mount up the fork, headset spacers, stem, bar, shifters and brake levers. DON'T pre cut you housings different bar widths, rises etc. make posting specific lengths of housing or pre-cutting housing unwise. Now insert the end of the housing into the shifter or brake lever that you wish to install. Hold the end of the housing in the shifter or lever and turn the handle bar 90 degrees (or until the bar or lever contacts the frame) to the oposite side that the shifter or lever is on. Still holding the housing in the shifter/lever run the housing to the first stop on the frame. Adjust so that the housing lightly contacts the frame at the head tube and hold it at the frame stop, that is where you make your cut. Do this for all the cables that run from the bars to the frame and you'll have the proper length for each. The lengths will allow for full movement of the bar without interferance from the housing. For the front brake it's just a matter of having enough cable housing so that there are no kinks or really tight bends in it. How the front brake cable is routed depends on the fork.

For the section that runs from the frame to the swing arm. Let all the air out of the shock and fully compress the suspension. You may have to diconnect one end of the shock or the other to get full compression. Compress the rear triangle and hold it in place with a strap or twine by looping it around a seat stay and then around the seat tube and securing it. Now take your housing and run from the stop on the frame to the stop on the chain stay. Adjust the lenght so that there is about 3mm between the bottom bracket and the cable housing. Again hold the housing at the chain stay stop, that's where you make your cut. You have just sized the housing to be free of pressure when the suspension is fully compressed.

I'll take some pics of my Stumpy later and post them for you. But now it's time to get ready for work! By the way the build sounds good so drive on and good luck.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

thecentralscrutinizer
    Becky. Which FSR frame is it??? If it's the Base frame, the rear derailleur cable housing is uncut from the shifter to the derailleur itself. The cable does have a stop at the BB for the front der. on the base FSR frame.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

Thanks and it's an Expert.

Squash, Thanks for your tips they are appreciated. Though I have built a few bikes from scratch I have never built one for someone else and I would feel guilty if I built in problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Becky. Which FSR frame is it??? If it's the Base frame, the rear derailleur cable housing is uncut from the shifter to the derailleur itself. The cable does have a stop at the BB for the front der. on the base FSR frame.
    I have not seen the frame yet. (ebay) It is an Expert frame, and though I am totally unfamiliar with the Stumpjumper line I have checked the Specialized website and I should be able to put together a nice ride. Since the rear der. cable is in a continuous housing does that reduce the problems associated with the shifter/der relative motion from suspension travel?

One other question, I have a Fox Vanilla 130 fork that I plan to use, (I'm sacrificing a spare Enduro for this). That Fox should work out okay right?

Thanks again for the input.
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

thecentralscrutinizer
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...006&spid=21823

This may help you out. It looks like the info squash gave is dead on for the frame you're getting. If you enlarge the picture, you can see the cable routing. The Vanilla should be okay on the frame too. Good luck.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay Becky here are the pics....

Hope this helps you out a little....

Good Dirt

p.s. The Fox should work GREAT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Squash; 02-06-2007 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

And two more that wouldn't.....

fit in the previousl post. They are for cable routing with a Manitou reverse arch fork. The routing for a standard arch will be a bit different.

Good Luck with the build it sounds great!

Good Dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images