mtbr member

Heckler vs Pitch

gonna post this on both this and santa cruz forums. currently own an 08 heckler and love it but just curious since i could get a pitch frame at EP. i have a dhx 5 coil on it right now and with propedal climbs like a champ. any real benefits for the pitch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    im in the same boat.if the pitch pedals anything like the SJ im sold.im torn between the pitch pro and kona coilair/coiler dee-lux.same price point.
    im really looking for something between the SJ and the enduro.kind of a all mountain/freeride.i ride MX alot but my newly torn shoulder says no to the idea of a 300lb plus MX bike landing on me again.plus being a cop it just ads to the pain.i would really like to hear some feed back on this.outside of little things i would change(saddle,crank,grip)-all of which i own already im itching to order the pitch.local shop qouted me 2500 OTD w/ a crank upgrade.good deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey guys,
    I ride an Enduro Sl and my buddy has a Heckler - so I've ridden both. I love both bikes, and you really can't go wrong with either, but they do have different riding characteristics. I do find the Heckler to be more balanced (with DHX Coil, by the way) and snappier, probably in part to the steeper headtube angle and single pivot suspension, but the Enduro seems to handle extended climbs better (travel adjust works great on the fork - although that is because of the E150) and descends like a rhino. The Enduro (again this isn't the Pitch, but is the same basic frame) just sucks up everything and seems more stable at speed. As for drops, they both seem great. Can't go wrong but Pitch seems a little more freeride and Heckler more all-mountain.
    If your bike isn't dirty, it isn't happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    goose you have an incredibly pimp setup. You will suffer big time by going to a pitch. Dont get a pitch.

PS: the OP has a heckler with a dhx5.0, a 36 talas rc2, xt cranks, der, etc. Whole nine yards. Either of the pitch setups would be a step down in quality for more money.

If you're desperate to get a specialized and be a tool because of where you work, get an enduro SL, keep your fork, and swap the fork out for your talas. Or an enduro frameset.

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    goose you have an incredibly pimp setup. You will suffer big time by going to a pitch. Dont get a pitch.

PS: the OP has a heckler with a dhx5.0, a 36 talas rc2, xt cranks, der, etc. Whole nine yards. Either of the pitch setups would be a step down in quality for more money.

If you're desperate to get a specialized and be a tool because of where you work, get an enduro SL, keep your fork, and swap the fork out for your talas. Or an enduro frameset.
    Or he could swap his setup onto a Pitch frame... You could then probably sell the Heckler.

An FSR system will be more active in the bumps than the Heckler. That means you'll get better traction in rocky rough terrain (like technical climbs, or trying to hammer through rock gardens) and better braking performance. One of my buddies has a Heckler, and I have an 05 Enduro. They're very similar in purpose (more AM and FR). There was no doubt about how well the FSR system performs better when you need active traction. I rode the Heckler a couple of times, and it's got an incredibly well balanced geometry, and it's fun to ride, but the single pivot design definitely shows it's limitations when compared to an FSR. You just can't pedal through choppy stuff as well as the Enduro...

I think your best bet is to get a Pitch, swap the parts you can, and then sell the Heckler!
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    I can't say one is better than the other. I have an S-works enduro with 165mm of travel and an 08 Heckler with a DHX coil on it. I love them both for different reasons. Last Monday, I cleared some stuff I've never cleared before on my Enduro. So I finished the trail, picked up my Heckler, and did the same trail - and cleared the same new thing. The Heckler felt really funny after riding on the Enduro for a couple of hours first where if I just ride one, I hardly notice a difference from ride to ride. It's there, but not so obvious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink
    Or he could swap his setup onto a Pitch frame... You could then probably sell the Heckler.

An FSR system will be more active in the bumps than the Heckler. That means you'll get better traction in rocky rough terrain (like technical climbs, or trying to hammer through rock gardens) and better braking performance. One of my buddies has a Heckler, and I have an 05 Enduro. They're very similar in purpose (more AM and FR). There was no doubt about how well the FSR system performs better when you need active traction. I rode the Heckler a couple of times, and it's got an incredibly well balanced geometry, and it's fun to ride, but the single pivot design definitely shows it's limitations when compared to an FSR. You just can't pedal through choppy stuff as well as the Enduro...

I think your best bet is to get a Pitch, swap the parts you can, and then sell the Heckler!
    do you understand how the design works? I don't think you do, because FSR basically has the sole purpose of eliminating excessive brake squat. I say excessive because a little bit of brake squat is a good thing, it gives you a slightly rearward bias, and since you tend to be using the brakes down hills if you're a normal person, making things slightly lower and slacker is a good thing.

the "FSR v single pivot" has literally nothing to do with the bikes pedaling characteristics. That has to do with pivot locations, and in FSR's case, link setups. Shocks make a huge difference too - In fact after swapping out several shocks on the exact same bike, I can say that they are probably the single biggest difference in how a bike will pedal and "feel." Linkages and pivot locations are all setup to assist the shock in one function or another. At the end of the day, its still the shock doing the work. And while its quite tempting to go from a DHX5 coil to an rp2 (not enough comp damping + bottom out vs way overdamped), I think the OP would be better off doing anything other then that.

But you're right on one thing at least, the pitch and heckler definitely have different characteristics. You're probably even right that the pitch would pedal better if they had the same shock. Its got a design more able for long pedaling and climbing - the heckler is a high forward single pivot, which is not traditionally a "pedal friendly" design. Its got a rearward arcing wheel path that rolls over bumps better, but bobs more. Given the efficiency of a dhx5 and the customization of the propedal (you get 15 clicks of variation as opposed to "on, off" I argue its a way better "all mountain" design. To each their own, if you like your pitch good on you, I'm not arguing its a bad bike by any means - I've gotten to ride one around, and for slightly heavy XC with some "gnar" stuff thrown in here and there, its a rad bike. It just doesn't have the versatility of a heckler. Now if you want to argue about the enduro SL, thats a different issue, that bike is rad.

PS: i'm probably incredibly offensive because I'm in the process of finding out how much damage fedex did to my bike. So far its "$250 in damage to my fork" but I'm just finding out they totally trashed it while sending it back to my home town, and its quite possible they actually broke my frame. Sorry if I was mean!

the #1 Stunna'
    It is all bout what you are riding...I have rode both, and am on a slightly upgraded Pitch pro now. I love this bike.
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    PS: i'm probably incredibly offensive because I'm in the process of finding out how much damage fedex did to my bike. So far its "$250 in damage to my fork" but I'm just finding out they totally trashed it while sending it back to my home town, and its quite possible they actually broke my frame. Sorry if I was mean!
    i really dont like the sound of that.i just shipped a bike across the US using fedex