mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Headset question

Does anyone know how high quality the headsets are that come on specialized bikes. The ones that don't list a name they just say 1 and 1/8. Also does anyone have a weight for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoglike
    Does anyone know how high quality the headsets are that come on specialized bikes. The ones that don't list a name they just say 1 and 1/8. Also does anyone have a weight for them.
    they suck and suck. mine lasted about a year. crappy. dont know about weight. sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't believe that all models come with the same type headset. Most of them are elcheapos though. Mine came with a Aheadset, probably made by Cane Creek. I promptly changed it out with a Cane Creek Solos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Mine is a 2007 rockhopper pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    mine has a cane creek one...it's alright but once it goes get something better
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoglike
    Mine is a 2007 rockhopper pro
    That's the exact same bike I have, so your headset is probably also a Aheadset. I was told by a few different bike mechanics that the headset is fine and just to use it until you wear it out and then buy something nicer. Of course as I said earlier I promptly changed mine out for a Cane Creek Solos anyway.

go chase the sunset
    Most of their headsets are made by FSA using a cane creek logo. Most of the bikes come with mid-range headsets.