jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

which headset and front deraileur for specialized camber 2013

Hello

the frame is an aluminium comp.

i will probaly go for a fsa headset, i know it is a a 1 1/8 - 1 1.5 threadless,
    but thats it !

i would like to buy it from here:
    Price up to like 75$

Bike24 - Headsets of Cane Creek, ACROS, FSA, Ritchey, Chris King, KCNC, NC-17, BBB, PRO, Hope, Octane One, Syntace, Pop Products, Tune, Longus, Brave, Procraft, Syncros, Shaman Racing, Campagnolo, Stronglight, Lizard Skins, Race Face, Rock Shox, SRAM

I am running 9 speed triple xt cranks, will this deraileur Work :

so if you could point to both, that would be great !

mtbr member

These are the Cane Creek parts for a 2013 Camber (Cane Creek have a headset finder where you can search for the correct part numbers on their website). If you're using a fork with a tapered steerer they are:

Top Headset:
    SHIS:IS42 - 1-1/8" Italian Integrated (ISi) Threadless
    Bottom Headset:
    SHIS:IS52/40 - 1.5" Integrated (IS)

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...,2,112;mid=180

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...,2,112;mid=180

Bottom bracket: Shimano Deore XT FD-M770-E, the bracket unscrews (you need a FD-M770-E because the newer FD-M780-E models are designed for 42 tooth outer chainrings whilst the FD-M770-E is for a 44 tooth outer chainring.)

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...13;mid=0;pgc=0

You'll also need the Specialized direct mount mounting bracket and allen bolts which ought to come with the frame.

jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanx alot WR303 !

i would never had figured this out......!

i have bought a praxis bottom bracket, so hope it works with that shimano bottom bracket deraileur..

but the last thing you wrote, i dont really understand.....?

You'll also need the Specialized direct mount mounting bracket and allen bolts which ought to come with the frame

-what do i need the specialized direct mount for, if i run the shimano bb mounted fr deraileur?

mtbr member

Although you buy the Shimano FD-M770-E front derailleur with a bottom bracket mount included you don't actually use the bottom bracket mount itself. The Specialized Camber 2013 frame uses a direct mount front derailleur.

The Shimano FD-M770-E front derailleur is a direct mount front derailleur, only it comes screwed into the bottom bracket mount. To use on your Specialized Camber you unscrew the direct mount front derailleur and use it without the bottom bracket mount.

This picture shows how the FD-M770-E front derailleur attaches. The bracket and allen bolts fixing it to the frame is the Specialized mounting kit.

jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hello again!

Thanx alot ! -did you take your crankset off, and took a picture to show me ???
    -If RESPECT!

-is it your bike?

i got the frame the frame from a UK online shop, and on the specialized site, i read that
    the camber comp, had an SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    -but i looked at the bottom bracket, and it has threads in it! -and i just tried to insert one bb HTII bearing and it fits....... dohhhhhh

I used to ride a 2006 santa cruz LT Blur, -very good at rough trails, ruts, holes, it could really be hammered, set up ith pikes 140mm, 2.25 nobby nics.

but i always felt i did not climb that well, so i hope the camber, can resolve this, but the rock shox is a basic monarch, just rebound, lockout, no platform, -how is your opinion on it ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    These are the Cane Creek parts for a 2013 Camber (Cane Creek have a headset finder where you can search for the correct part numbers on their website). If you're using a fork with a tapered steerer they are:

Top Headset:
    SHIS:IS42 - 1-1/8" Italian Integrated (ISi) Threadless
    Bottom Headset:
    SHIS:IS52/40 - 1.5" Integrated (IS)

Bike24 - Cane Creek 40.IS42 Short Cover Top Headset Upper Part 1 1/8 Inches - IS42/28.6

Bike24 - Cane Creek 40.IS52 Bottom Headset Lower Part 1.5 Inches - IS52/40

Bottom bracket: Shimano Deore XT FD-M770-E, the bracket unscrews (you need a FD-M770-E because the newer FD-M780-E models are designed for 42 tooth outer chainrings whilst the FD-M770-E is for a 44 tooth outer chainring.)

Bike24 - Shimano Deore XT FD-M770-E Front Derailleur for BB Mount 9-speed

You'll also need the Specialized direct mount mounting bracket and allen bolts which ought to come with the frame.
    Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread but I've been looking for months to find the correct headset size for my 2011 camber (straight 1 1/8, no taper) to no avail. Do you happen to know? Thanks in advance

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex5837 View Post
    Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread but I've been looking for months to find the correct headset size for my 2011 camber (straight 1 1/8, no taper) to no avail. Do you happen to know? Thanks in advance
    From Bike24.de it would be this one for a Cane Creek complete headset if your 2011 Camber uses 1 1/8" integrated bearings for both upper and lower races:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?product=...,2,112;mid=180

Filtered Bike24.de search of all compatible headsets. You can also just get replacement bearings which would be a little cheaper too.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?pitems=5...503:13505;ff=0

For finding the correct headset for different bikes you can use the Cane Creek Headset Finder tool:

http://www.canecreek.com/iframe/head...set-fit-finder

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    From Bike24.de it would be this one for a Cane Creek complete headset if your 2011 Camber uses 1 1/8" integrated bearings for both upper and lower races:

Bike24 - Cane Creek 40.IS42 Short Cover Carbon Complete Headset 1 1/8 Inches - IS42/28.6 | IS42/30

Filtered Bike24.de search of all compatible headsets. You can also just get replacement bearings which would be a little cheaper too.

Bike24 - Headsets of Cane Creek, ACROS, FSA, Ritchey, Chris King, KCNC, NC-17, BBB, PRO, Hope, Octane One, Syntace, Pop Products, Tune, Longus, Brave, Procraft, Syncros, Shaman Racing, Campagnolo, Stronglight, Lizard Skins, Race Face, Rock Shox, SRAM

For finding the correct headset for different bikes you can use the Cane Creek Headset Finder tool:

Headset Fit Finder

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry, I meant to add:

The individual Cane Creek bearing that you need for both top and bottom races is part number CBAA0174K. Outer Diameter 41.8mm (1"1/8 Italian). RRP 14.99

Extra (UK) Ltd - Bearings

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks again That's good to know but I think I'll go for the complete headset. It will be the standard alloy, not carbon! I've had all sorts of problems with the standard one, as it's been clicking under heavy pedalling and needs constant tightening.

mtbr member
    Has your bike got one of the spoke shaped aheadset top caps? I think they came with Specialized bikes from 2011 on. They have a nasty habit of pulling the star nut out of the steerer, making it impossible to actually tighten the headset properly.

If you're buying an entire headset I'd replace the starnut that is inside the fork steerer and the aheadset top cap at the same time. You have to hammer the old starnut out and then knock a new one into place.

Make sure that you have enough of a gap between the top of the stem and the top of the fork steerer for everything to be pulled together properly when you're preloading the headset bearings too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The top cap is a standard alloy FSA which is not original although the original one was a similar design, only unbranded. If anything, the star nut is too far into the steerer (around an inch) and the bolt only goes through a couple of threads before resistance can be felt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bought a new star nut and top cap a while ago when I replaced my stem. The old star nut was too close to the top of the steerer and had become distorted, so didn't hold the assembly together tightly.

mtbr member

If it's definitely the headset that's clicking when pedalling? and needing constant tightening then that's most likely down to not getting enough preload on the headset initially. Once the stem bolts are fastened the headset should stay tight and in adjustment, even if you removed the top cap entirely.

Have you tried loosening the stem bolts, and then pushing down hard on the stem to press it down onto the bearings before starting to tighten the top cap. By holding the stem down with your bodyweight, before tightening the top cap to preload the bearing, it's more likely to take out any free play so you can tighten it down fully.

You could try something like a Gusset Headlock as well as the new headset. That should pull the fork and headset together securely.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/g...k/rp-prod17766

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That Gusset Headlock looks interesting; I've never come anything like that before. I was looking at Hope Head doctors a while ago but ended up with just a new star nut. The problem wasn't with the whole assembly coming loose, I with couldn't get the bearings preloaded tightly enough in the first place. The star nut was knackered.
    With regards to you're method of tightening, I've tried loosening top cap and stem bolts, tightening top cap until no movement and tightened up the stem bolts many times. I'll give your method a go soon. Thanks for all the advice