Who are the brain police?

Headset on a 2005 SXT?

I wanted to buy a race to put on a second fork (w/o having to swap out the race from the old fork).

I plan on keeping the stock headset, but I'm not sure how to go about finding a new race. Are these things headset specific?

Anyone know the deal for this year and make?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Most crown races are....

specific to a given brand or even a given headset model within a given brand. Mixing them is BAD NEWS. It is usuall the better idea to contact the manufacturer and see if crown races for your specific headset are available separately, or if they can recommend a compatable race. If the race is not specifically compatable with your headset, you run the risk of trashing the lower bearings in short order. As a side note, some manufactures even use a single crown race for all of their headsets, so you may get lucky that way.

So, your best bet is to try and figure out what brand and model Specialized used on the 05SXT and then contact that manufacturer. With that being said, it might be easier just to get a new head set from a manufacture that offers crown races seperately. Hard to say, I know that Cane Creek, Chris King, and I'm sure a few others offer races as a seperate item.

Sorry I can't help you more, but it's just too iffy a thing without knowing the brand and model.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Thanks. I'll dig a bit more. ..Its made for Specialized by Cane Creek I think.. but its not a typical model sold by CC, if you get me.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do a search. I posted the model a while back. It's a "Buster" from what I remember. The guys at FSA or Cane Creek sent me a race for free 'cause mine had cracked.

I'm not sure what to think now. I called and emailed FSA at the same time. The rep on the phone said they don't have anything similar that can be used in place of the old race.

An hour later I got an email back saying that this is what I need based on it being a "th-893" w/ a H6010 race... http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...id=228&pid=302

You wouldn't remember if they gave you an "ORBIT DL" race, would you?
    Ween - The Grobe

Ween - The Grobe