mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Head tube angle ?

Looking forward buying a new fork for my 2012 specialized hardrock sport disc ( frame size L=19'')
    The headtube angle is 70.25 degrees, the stoc fork is 80 mm.
    So what is the ideal fork for trail riding for this frame?
    Money doesn't matters!

P.S a friend of mine had a 2010 hardrock and he had a marzocchi all mountain 150 mm fork.
    He told me it was great to ride but you had to watch out not to jump very much with it it affects the head tube( it crashes it. But not from one jump off course if you go to compete yes it will crash your head tube( like every week you must compete in A dh track) but if you go normal trail riding with less jumping you won't get it.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    General rule to increase the fork travel is 10% of a stock frame in order to be safe. 10% of an 80mm fork is 8mm, so the next fork upgrade would be a fork with 90mm of travel. The strength of your frame was not intended to go beyond this, welds, tubing thickness etc. I would look for a 90mm fork that is lighter than your current build with a few more options like fork compression, rebound, fork lock out, fork lock out with a remote on the handle bar to help increase climbing and pedal efficiency. I would look on eBay; they would have some nice used racing forks for you, some thousand dollar forks maybe in the 2 to 4 hundred dollar range. You wouldn't want a 150mm fork on that frame, it would look and perform like an old school chopper to over exaggerate it, and why it might break at the head tube.