...the wave won't brek

Has Specialized Over Branded it'self?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what people heare think.

I over heard a comment made by a spectator yesterday at a race (as a friend of mine and I rode bye on our Specialized bikes) about how Specialized has over branded itself.

I have Specialized Shoes and love them, my buddy has a Specialized helmet he recived when he purchased the bike. These items and the bikes are what prompted the spectator to comment the way they did.

I like the Specialized products I have, and feel they are good products.

IMHO as long as the quality of the products stays high they Specialized has not spread itself too thin.

Thanks,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

ever worn nike?

overbranding? i like their products as well, the baggy shorts with the padding system in them are awesome, the shoes are great quality and affordable, the glasses are great and designed for cycling, unlike many other brands out there, my list could go on and on, the spectator just sounds like a bitter anti corporation type, ask him to justify his comments and im sure you will be surprised. misery loves company, but i love my stumpy, misery has to piss off for now.....

mtbr member

Here Here

I agree with PwrTrainer-I could not be more pleased with both my Stump and all other Specialized products I own-they are currently a first class outfit with good folks running the show, as long as the high quality is there all is good.

Bike to the Bone...
    I don't think they've overbranded themselves. I think Specialized has several points that makes their branding consistent:

+ They didn't position themselves as a boutique brand.
    + They are consistent with the brand (at least, you're not looking at a bicycle saddle and a laptop at the same site), they only do bikes.
    + They don't venture outside their target market (remember motorcycles and C'dale?)
    + I think the way they set up shop they can supply the demand they have with quality products.

They want to try to sell items for as many items as they can. They have excelent bikes, and I think they're pretty good at most of their different product areas. I haven't heard of a shortage on items, or long waits. All their R&D is focused on bikes (either road or mtb).

Weapon of Choice
    As long as they maintain their consistency of putting out high quality bikes and equiptment at reasonable prices they can overbrand as much as they like, I cant think of one negative thing this company has done by "Overbranding" itself.

mtbr member

What is overbranding?

"Overbranding?" Sounds like a someone with a fragile ego trying to justify why they spent $6000 on a pro level boutique race bike only to DNF in a beginner class race. Personally, I need my dollar to stretch, and Specialized is good bang for the buck. Plus, they really throw some R and D into product development. The shoes are good value and made well; the clothes are good; don't care for the helmets because my head is fat; and the bikes offer spec and diversity.

So, to overbranding......dude, whatever....

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I agree, every product specialized makes that I've tried has been great with the exception of their computers I have tried 2 bikes, 2 pair of shoes, 3 helmets, glasses, shock fender, deraillier guard, 3 pairs of gloves, baggy shorts, 1 wireless computer( lousy range and battery life) and 2 wired computers(crappy wire design breaks too easily and shouldnt be attached to computer direct) everything else fits and works flawlessly

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A completely cookie cutter company

Specialized bikes have zero soul; however, they do make a fine bike. They used to be a pretty good bang for the buck but the prices seem higher these days.

Jaybo

...the wave won't brek
    Ya I thought they guy was just looking for an argument.

But Like I said in the origional post I like the Specialized gear that I have. I find it to be quality, and if they can keep getting there name on good equipment more power to them
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well like you said, as long as their products are high quality theres no problem.I love my Enduro and have used their helmets for years.

mtbr member

Do bikes have soul?

What has more soul? A cookie cutter Specialized with a 50 year old rider who's been carving singletrack since before Tinker Juarez took his BMX bike on the trail, or a Merlin Ti hardtail ridden by a guy who says "I got the bike because it matches my new Porsche..." I remember one year up in Park City, Utah, I hooked up with a guy riding an old GT Timberline with Suntour stuff and a Rockshox Quadra 31R fork. Magura rim brakes.... and it was decked out in purple anodized chi-chi's. He was in his 50's, wearing jean shorts, t-shirts, hairy legs.... He asked if he could tag along for the climb. I was racing at the time in sport XC in SoCal and I thought "Well, I don't know the trail, so I can slow down and hang." The guy schooled me. Old schooled me! I figured out then, it ain't the ride, it's the rider, and a Huffy on the trail has more soul than a Merlin in the garage.

the 36 year old grom
    I don't ride a specialized, but............

I paid full price for a specialized BG sadle: it fits real good. I'd buy another
    I love my deviant helmet. I'd buy another
    I buy specialized tires, they are good. i'll buy more.

yo man, don't worry about the haters

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This quote (translated) is from a Finnish bike forum:
    "The most important thing - IMO - is that the company has spent more time designing their products, than the guys at the advertising agency in creating the image."

They have a history in high quality bikes and success in various competitions. One could think they have learned a thing or two to have the experties to make more than just bikes.
    Many people (myself included) are Specialized-enthusiasts, who would like to use more Specialized products than just the bikes. Since Spec makes good stuff, why not use a helmet or shoes from Specialized... And as long as the company maintains high quality across the entire range of products, people who speak about over-branding are full of bull.

...sorry for the language, it's 3:02 AM in Finland and I'm getting tired